Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i use someone else's Snow Leopard boot disk to upgrade my mac?

I am unfortunately at that stage in life where as a teenager i have many lusts and "needs" but have hit the road block... money.

I have enough to buy lion through the appstore but have not got enough to first upgrade to Snow Leopard and THEN Lion as well.

If my dad has a Snow Leopard boot disk with his mac, can i use it to upgrade mine and then go on to buy Lion through the Mac Appstore?

Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2009 Aluminium (No SD Slot)

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 4:13 AM

3 replies

Nov 6, 2011 4:51 AM in response to TommyMcFerran

No for possibly two reasons ... First, that's illegal as it's a violation of the Apple license agreement, and second, boot disks are locked to the system type they are delivered with. Ask your Dad instead how you can earn $29 doing some chores around the house, or let the word get out that for any holiday gifts in December that cash would be appreciated.

Since you're on Leopard today, you probaby know in wanting to move to Lion that Lion no longer has the Rosetta emulator and thus doesn't support anything with PowerPC code. That's surprised some, so just FYI.

Can i use someone else's Snow Leopard boot disk to upgrade my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.