Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I burn a dvd without using iDVD?

It doesn't come with new macs anymore. I want to burn an iMovie i made, but my new mac didn't come with iDVD. I asked someone at an apple store and they told me that they weren't making it anymore. I need to burn something and make a menu, but I don't know how?!?!?! 😕 I need help! 😢

iMovie '11

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 12:29 PM

17 replies

Nov 6, 2011 1:37 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

QuickTimeKirk wrote:

iLife '11 isn't available as a download.

If your machine included the iLife '11 DVD you would be able to install iDVD from it.

By what i said, I mean that when i got my mac, it came loaded with iPhoto, iMovie, and Garageband, but not iDVD and iWeb. I need to take an iMovie and burn it to a DVD, but I don't have iDVD.

⚠This was just to clarify my question!! ⚠

Nov 6, 2011 1:50 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

QuickTimeKirk wrote:

As I stated, above, in order to install iDVD and iWeb you'll need to purchase iLife '09 or '11.

Apple has discontinued those two apps and from now on they do not come pre-installed on new machines. They are not available as a download.

I just need another way to get it onto a DVD, it doesn't have to be iDVD. Any suggestions of other apps that might work or other ways to burn?

Nov 22, 2011 10:49 AM in response to PersonMcPersonman

Make a couple of phone calls.

iDVD is a “Must Have". (Yes, it should be included.)

Call Apple they will sent out iDVD at no charge.

800-692-7753

800-275-2273

Most people report that by asking here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/idvd.html

or here: http://www.apple.com/contact/

they got a free copy of iDVD.

If that doesn't work you can purchase iLife 11 on disk (don't get the download) for about $39.

Feb 9, 2012 7:17 PM in response to isohm

Burn seems to come up with a lot of good reviews. Has anyone used this?

Yes.

There are no alternatives to iDVD.

I've tried virtually all the programs suggested. None of them come near the power and ease-of-use of iDVD.

IDVD is available directly from Apple or Amazon by purchasing iLife 11 on disk.

If you are still within your 15 day return period, nicely explain to Apple that you will return the computer without iDVD. That usually does the trick for a free copy of iDVD. Be Nice.

Jun 10, 2012 2:30 PM in response to PersonMcPersonman

If you have Lion and find a copy of iLife 11 - (I owned one) then dep[ending on how old your iLife it iDVD may not work - don't dispare, install it and then run software update. You will get a working version.

I am perplexed why Apple would kill it - iDVD is not the only thing that will work but it is by far the easiest of the few that I've tried.

Good Luck,

F

How can I burn a dvd without using iDVD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.