6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2011 2:47 PM by smugdoug
smugdoug Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I use my iPhone 4s a lot text while connected to wifi and sending to other iPhones. But it seems that when I go outside of the wifi zone and try to send, it seems to take FOREVER to send, sometimes not sending at all, even though I'm showing at least 3 bars and 3G. What's the deal? Is there some sort of problem with the software switching back and forth?

iPhone 4, iOS 5
  • Allan Sampson Level 10 Level 10 (123,370 points)

iMessage does not require wi-fi. iMessages can be exchanged with an iPhone and iPad wi-fi+3G when they are connected to the cellular network for internet access. Do you have send an SMS if iMessage not available?

• modular747 Level 6 Level 6 (17,845 points)

iMessage sends over 3G/cell data as well as WiFi.  The delay may be locating and identifying the other device as iMessage enabled.  What happens when you disable iMessage in settings and send as SMS only?

• smugdoug Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Yes, Allan, I have iMessage on AND send as SMS on. And Modular, I haven't tried that, buyt should I have to? I understand that may isolate the problem, but shouldn't the iPhone switch automatically, if iMessaging is unavailable?

• modular747 Level 6 Level 6 (17,845 points)

It is supposed to switch to SMS if iMessagg isn't available.  There may be some delay in this process or iMessage getting a response to connection attemp.  If you consistantly have problems in your area, disable iMessage when not on WiFi.

My son says he's having the same issue, but in a totally different city. I'm finding a lot of my messages are not being sent when outside of a wifi area. If I go back in and turn off iMessage, I think they're sending more reliably, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose? Then I have to take the time-consuming steps of opening settings, going to messaging, shutting off iMessage, and then sending or resending. Then, when I'm done, I have to go back and and do the exact opposite, if I'm going back into a wifi area. I think there is a problem here.

And, BTW, I don't think it's just a delay. When I send a message this way, the sending bar goes almost all the way, freezes for quite some time, and then after 5 or 10 minutes doesn't send (exclamation mark). Then I have to resend BUT go in first and shut off iMessage. How convenient.

Interesting update. My son said that he wasn't receiving my texts, but that he wasn't having a problem with other people AND he wasn't able to access the web while on 3G. I noticed that I was having this issue too, and decided to call AT&T. They ended up sendiing out a new activation signal, and that seemed to do the trick. How bizarre.