Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4s seems to have issue switching FROM iMessaging to SMS

I use my iPhone 4s a lot text while connected to wifi and sending to other iPhones. But it seems that when I go outside of the wifi zone and try to send, it seems to take FOREVER to send, sometimes not sending at all, even though I'm showing at least 3 bars and 3G. What's the deal? Is there some sort of problem with the software switching back and forth?

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 12:43 PM

6 replies

Nov 7, 2011 11:21 AM in response to modular747

My son says he's having the same issue, but in a totally different city. I'm finding a lot of my messages are not being sent when outside of a wifi area. If I go back in and turn off iMessage, I think they're sending more reliably, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose? Then I have to take the time-consuming steps of opening settings, going to messaging, shutting off iMessage, and then sending or resending. Then, when I'm done, I have to go back and and do the exact opposite, if I'm going back into a wifi area. I think there is a problem here.

And, BTW, I don't think it's just a delay. When I send a message this way, the sending bar goes almost all the way, freezes for quite some time, and then after 5 or 10 minutes doesn't send (exclamation mark). Then I have to resend BUT go in first and shut off iMessage. How convenient.

Nov 7, 2011 2:47 PM in response to smugdoug

Interesting update. My son said that he wasn't receiving my texts, but that he wasn't having a problem with other people AND he wasn't able to access the web while on 3G. I noticed that I was having this issue too, and decided to call AT&T. They ended up sendiing out a new activation signal, and that seemed to do the trick. How bizarre.

4s seems to have issue switching FROM iMessaging to SMS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.