4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2011 5:58 PM by ckuan
hoppah Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

OK - here's the scenario:

Mac Pro, with Lion containing vast library of music and video in iTunes 10.5, with Home Sharing enabled and my apple ID properly entered and authorized,

Win7 laptop with no library in freshly installed iTunes 10.5 with Home Sharing enabled and my apple ID properly entered and authorized, and

Brand new iPad2 with my apple ID properly entered and authorized under both the Music and Video sections of Settings.

All three of these devices are on the same L3 network.

OK - the problem is: 

Win7 laptop sees shared library from Mac - the whole thing, no problem, can play any music or video.

The iPad can see the shared library (which is empty) from the Win7 machine, but doesn't see the library from the Mac.

I'm having a hard time understanding why the iPad can see the PC's shared library but not the Mac's, especially when the PC sees the Mac's.

Any ideas?

G.

New (Aug 2010) Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 8-core Xeon, 16G ECC RAM, 0+1 RAID
  • hoppah Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Here's an added twist: 

I also have an iPhone 4 with iOS 5 that sees the exact same thing the iPad does:  the Win7 library and not the Mac.  And dig this:  the Win7 box's iTunes prefs has sharing *unchecked*. 

So, my handhelds can see the library which *isn't being shared* and can't see the library that *is*.  But the Mac can't see the library of the Win7 box, and the Win7 box *can* see the library of the Mac - which is what I would want.

I am totally lost on this.

G.

• ckuan Level 7 Level 7 (25,255 points)

Un- authorize all and start over.

• hoppah Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

NEVER MIND.  Discovered that the sharing had been set up with my wife's account on her computer and mine and I used my account on the Pad, phone and Win7 box.  When I stated that the account was set up and correct on the Mac I was making an invalid assumption, since it had sharing enabled.

Assumption is the mother of all f-ups. 

G.

• ckuan Level 7 Level 7 (25,255 points)

Wow, Is that's your new year's resolution?