Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AKAI Synthstation 25?

I would love to be able to use my AKAI Synthstation 25 with Garage Band... any idea if there will be external device support in the near future?

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 8:24 PM

33 replies

Nov 29, 2011 4:10 PM in response to cameron69

To get started as an Akai Pro Developer:

1. Send an email to us at SS25DeveloperRelations@akaipro.com. Include:
    • Your company name
    • Your name, phone number and preferred email contact
    • The names of any apps you have already developed
    • As much information as you can provide about the app you wish to make compatible with Akai Pro's SynthStation25 hardware
  2. Upon review of your submission you will be provided with an Non-disclosure agreement (NDA).
  3. Read, sign and fax the completed NDA to (401) 658-3640 ATTN: Developer Relations.

Once approved you will be provided with the SynthStation SDK and supporting materials to promote your app's new capabilities. If you implement the SynthStation SDK, we will need logos, copy (50 words or less) and screenshots to help us to promote your app with SynthStation25 support online.

Thanks in advance for your submissions!

- Akai Pro Developer Relations Team

SOURCE: http://www.synthstationapp.com/sdk.php

Dec 9, 2011 3:49 PM in response to EdwardASL

Good eye Ed, and thanks.

This is good progress, but more of a workaround than a solution, in my opinion. A workaround that costs $9...

Not willing to part with that yet, I would much rather Apple just add some dadgum support for the synthstation natively.

Although this makes me wonder if GB for iOS doesn't have CoreMidi in it's framework at all, so it would mean an overhaul of the software in order to give the SS and other CoreMidi devices functionality. Anyone have any insight on this?

Dec 9, 2011 4:12 PM in response to EdwardASL

Thanks man!

It's stupid to pay 7.99 euro for a 1MB app... ****... but I'll do it anyway :-). I hope that apple releases an update!

I found this video about midibridge on youtube and it works with GB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVDMGrauG3Q

Also for anyone who's interested I made some songs on my ipod touch in GB you can check them out via

http://www.facebook.com/LFGRD

Greetings from Belgium

Dec 10, 2011 2:16 AM in response to cameron69

Hi, I'm the developer of MidiBridge and I can say with almost 100% surety that Apple will probably never add support for the SS25 to GarageBand. It's a different kettle of fish from CoreMIDI and is not in their interest to support devices with proprietary SDKs like the SS25 and original Line6 Midi Mobilizer. For now, the only option to connect an SS25 to GarageBand is MidiBridge.

About the price - I do realise that in this world of free and 99cent apps, the price would be on the high side but in my defense I'd say that the number of apps I'm ever going to sell (and this is my day-job) is limited compared to say a game, and in order to make this viable and allow me to continue producing apps and feeding my 3 screaming kids I have to set what I think is a fair price. In real life, is nine bucks too much to pay to breathe life into your SS25 to connect it to GarageBand, other CoreMIDI apps and wireless MIDI?

Also, the size of an app is no indication of its worthiness! I spent a lot of time creating the most efficient app and smallest size that I could. With an app like MidiBridge, the smaller the better!

I'm willing to answer any questions/respond to comments here, so fire away. I've recently written a guide to understanding MidiBridge which many MidiBridge users have found helpful. You can find it at our website here: http://www.audeonic.com/mb_guide.shtml

Thanks for mentioning MidiBridge as a solution in this thread.

Regards, Nic from Audeonic Apps (Dublin, Ireland)

Dec 10, 2011 10:36 AM in response to joeyfromlier

Hi Joey,

The 8 buttons all generate controller events which MidiBridge faithfully passes on, so if GarageBand (and I'll come clean here in that I have personally never used it) can be setup to react to those controller events, then yes it should be possible to use them. If GarageBand can respond to controller events but they are fixed then you can remap the SS25 events to the GarageBand ones using our free add-on for MidiBridge called FreEWI.

However you'll need some understanding of the underlying MIDI that is being sent for this. At the moment I'm not aware of any app that will specifically translate the buttons to something meaningful to apps like GarageBand. I've thought of creating such an add-on but that is as far as I got. ;-)

Regards, Nic.

Dec 13, 2011 4:39 AM in response to audeonic

Hi Joey,

I just got Synthstation/Midibridge/GB up and running. I can confirm that some of the keyboard sounds will respond to the pitchbend controller, so the GB instruments must recognise control messages.

The other controllers don't appear to do anything (Drums, Synth1, Program change)...) 'out of the box'. I had a quick experiment with FreEWI & managed to connect it into the signal path (transposing works). Now I'll try to remap the controller messages. It would be nice to use the pitch bend & mod wheels for something useful like adjusting the rotation speed on the B3 emulator. Time for some Googling about Midi CC messages...

-Andy

AKAI Synthstation 25?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.