Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

microphone not working

I have a regular 2 jack headphone . But the problem is whatever headphone i try there is not input signal from the mic but output is working absolutely fine on any headphone with mic. Some people suggest me to buy usb head phone but my question is if i have to buy usb headphone why mac have given input jack for mic and i tried calling tech support to mac they gave me direction for this website .

so i need help on this.

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 10:26 PM

1 reply

Nov 8, 2011 9:07 AM in response to zeenesh

This is because Mac audio input jacks are expecting a high-level LINE-LEVEL signal (UNLIKE Windows PC audio input jacks, which are expecting a low-level MIC-LEVEL signal). Your headset is undoutedly giving out a low-level signal.

Solutions:

(a) get a USB headset,

or

(b) get a pre-amplifier to raise the mic's signal level from mic-level to line-level,

or IMHO the best solution:

(c) get a Griffin iMic - which will take the two 3.5mm jack plugs of your headset and "convert" the input and output signals to a USB socket. These often come up cheap on eBay...

http://www.griffintechnology.com/support/imic

User uploaded file

microphone not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.