7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2011 6:36 AM by chrisfromlouisville
nospammers970201 Level 1 Level 1
expertise.appletv
Apple TV

There are dozens of articles on the web and posts here talking about what's new with screen sharing in Lion, but for the life of me I can't find anything that tells somebody completely new to screen sharing how to get started.  If I want to do screen sharing with a friend (over the Internet, not a LAN), what exactly do we have to do to get started?

Sorry for a noob question, but everything I see assumes you're already completely familiar with it and just want to see Lion tweaks.

Mac OS X (10.7.2)
Solved by chrisfromlouisville on Nov 7, 2011 5:42 AM Solved

ok so go to your system preferences on your MAC > go to sharing > click the screen sharing option on> next go to the add users section right below on the right and you add your friend whom you want to share with. You have to select a password for this person.  When you get this done you will see a

Other users can access your computer's screen at:

and you will have an address there with some numbers. give this to your friend whom you want to see your screen, they have to post this in their web-browser, and that is how you remotely screen share. This is if you all are not on the same network. Also if you want to share his/her screen they will have to do these steps for you.

Reply by Tony T1 on Nov 7, 2011 5:37 AM Helpful

If I want to do screen sharing with a friend (over the Internet, not a LAN), what exactly do we have to do to get started?

I find that the best way over the internet is to do it with iChat:

Screen Shot 2011-11-07 at 8.36.01 AM.png

All replies

• Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

If I want to do screen sharing with a friend (over the Internet, not a LAN), what exactly do we have to do to get started?

I find that the best way over the internet is to do it with iChat:

Screen Shot 2011-11-07 at 8.36.01 AM.png

• chrisfromlouisville Level 2 Level 2

ok so go to your system preferences on your MAC > go to sharing > click the screen sharing option on> next go to the add users section right below on the right and you add your friend whom you want to share with. You have to select a password for this person.  When you get this done you will see a

Other users can access your computer's screen at:

and you will have an address there with some numbers. give this to your friend whom you want to see your screen, they have to post this in their web-browser, and that is how you remotely screen share. This is if you all are not on the same network. Also if you want to share his/her screen they will have to do these steps for you.

• nospammers970201 Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.appletv
    Apple TV

Oh, I never noticed you could do it with iChat.  Thanks!

• Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

That only works on a local network.   To access over the internet you need to set up port-forwarding or have a static IP address

expertise.appletv
    Apple TV

Oh <smacking self in head> that's great, chrisfromlouisville.  I always thought of that sharing icon as being for sharing files or drives across the network.  That's exactly what I needed.

P.S.  I appreciate it even though you're in Cardinal country and I'm in Wildcat country (Berea)

expertise.appletv
    Apple TV

Yeah, good point Tony T1,  I see that the IP address it gave me is a local one.  And no, I'm definitely not paying my DSL company for a static address!

• chrisfromlouisville Level 2 Level 2

LOL I will not hold that against you being in Wildcat Ctry. Glad I could help friend.

Romans 5:8