Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM for Late 2006 Macbook Pro C2D?

Can anyone tell me what kind of RAM i would need to order for my machine? Macbook Pro, C2D, 2.16 ghz, 15.4"

I've been having bad luck with crucial.com in getting either bad or incorrect batches of RAM to the point where two batches that came in wouldn't even allow the computer to turn on, and the one RAM that did allow the computer to turn on freezes the machine constantly. It's extremely frustrating.

Orginally my machine had 1 GB of RAM, I have attempted to upgrade to 2GB x 2, so 4 GB's of RAM total.

I was on newegg shopping for RAM, as suggested by a apple genius bar employee, but I'm not sure which RAM to get. Are there any differences in these? Please see attached image.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 7:44 AM

5 replies

Nov 7, 2011 8:17 AM in response to MarkTuff

Welcome Mark!

The 2.16G C2D can access only a maximum of about 3.2G RAM, but installing 2 two 2G modules usually works. For easily a decade, I have purchased all my Mac RAM from two Mac-savvy online vendors and have always received the proper RAM. Here are their links to RAM for your computer:

Other World Computing:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/Pro/Core2/

Data Memory Systems:

Apple MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 15.4" Screen(200 Pin PC2-5300 DDR2 SODIMMs)

We're a little handicapped here by not knowing your location. The links I posted are for US-baaed vendors. The first one ships internationally; the second only to certain countries.

Please consider editing your profile to include your approximate geographic location. That will make it easier for the community to help you.

Nov 7, 2011 8:54 AM in response to MarkTuff

Mark wrote:

I'm in CT, USA

That makes this easy! I routinely check out retailers' RAM offerings when I travel and, at least in the Western US, the vast majority have very poor Mac support and poorer employee training. Ask about Mac RAM and they think you are ordering a burger! Those that do seem to understand the special need of RAM for Macs tend to be very expensive--often twice what the vendors I linked show.

Data Memory Systems (the second link) is in Salem NH so they are darned-near neighbors to you. The other is in Illinois. I usually get orders from the Illinois place in four days, and I live 100 mile south of Spokane WA where UPS sends a truck to our town, not an aircraft.

I do not know if the Salem NH vendor has a walk-in store. If they do, it's likely to be more expensive that web-ordering.

RAM for Late 2006 Macbook Pro C2D?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.