Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes can't verify the identity of the server "p20-buy.itunes.apple.com".

When launching iTunes, I occassionally get a the warning: iTunes can't verify the identity of the server "p20-buy.itunes.apple.com" (image below). I generally close iTunes and relaunch and get no further occuance of the warning, at least for awhile.

Has anyone encountered this message? It this a valid warning? If so, can it be remedied? Could VirusBarrier X6 be contributing?User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 8:21 AM

14 replies

Nov 15, 2011 6:20 AM in response to marc smith6

Yes, I had gotten it a couple of warnings this summer and then recently (beginning this thread). The previous incidents culminated in an iTunes reinstall at the Genius Bar. Thrown into the mix was a corrupted App Store that was ultimately fixed by a Lion update. iTunes 10.5.1 seems to be working optimally for me.

I realized after my initial post that there were world-wide infrastructure issues that day (Time Warner Cable was hit with a major outage and the FBI shut down a major malware distribution ring), so perhaps what I experienced was a glitch. But this is not very reassuring, and no explaination at all.

I would feel better with a little understanding of the iTunes server and certificate deployment schema, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to even confirm the url iTunes connects to. “It just works” is beautiful when it does, but the opacity is frustrating when it doesn’t.

Are you using Airport or Time Capsule? If so, have you updated the firmware to 7.6?

Jan 3, 2012 4:48 PM in response to gepodian

I have also gotten this message every time I open my iTunes. I have a brand new Macbook Pro and 10.5.2 iTunes. My message is: iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server “p23-buy.itunes.apple.com”. If I click cancel it keeps popping back up one or two more times and I cannot log into my account. If I click continue I am able to log into my account. When I attempted to do something else after that (can't remember what I did), I got this message: iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server “s.mzstatic.com”. When I googled the p23 thing, the first site I got had an apple.com identity. By exploring page info I found a link to s.mzstatic.com. I tried deleting some podcasts (did not delete well known ones) and restarting iTunes, but nothing changed. Any advice?

Jan 15, 2012 2:55 PM in response to gepodian

Gentelmen,

It looks like several people seem to have a similar problem. I just opened my old G5 mac running on Mac OS X 10.5.8and wanted to update my new Iphone 4 and itunes v opened up to this message

iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server “s.mzstatic.com.”.

The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “s.mzstatic.com.”, which could put your confidential information at risk. Would you like to connect to the server anyway?

What is the story is this a corrupted site or software I don<t dare continue so I cancel out is this site legit. ANY ADVISE. Is there anyone from apple that can answer.

Jan 17, 2012 2:15 PM in response to gepodian

I spent some time at the Genius Bar concerning this issue. They called Apple and was told the problem lies with a specific .plist file: if this file is deleted and rebuilt the problem goes away.

At this time I cannot verify if the issue is resolved; I’d get the warning intermittently and could never reproduce the conditions under which it was invoked, but apparently this procedure has remedied situations where the warning is frequent.

If you wish to try it yourself:

1 Log in with Administrator Privileges;

2 Find the “NetworkInterfaces.plist” in the root Library folder:&#8232; (Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist);

3 Drag it to the trash (you may need to enter your Password at the prompt);

4 Restart your Mac and log back in.

Good luck!

Oct 9, 2012 11:57 PM in response to gepodian

Good lord that sounds complicated! I have been having the same problem along with another odd pop up warning of a different nature besides the current one we are experiencing. Does anyone from Apple know what it is or have a friend at the stores that has heard of it?

I will try the solution. Mine pops up as soon as i open itunes just to listen to what i already have. when i hit cancel it comes back on once. so a total of twice just to listen to previously purchased music. i will try and get a screen grab of the other odd warning that is frequently appearing. has anyone else seen the other weird and similar but different warning as well.

May 26, 2013 6:40 PM in response to gepodian

My daughter was recieving a similar error message "iTunes can't verify the identity of the server "p16-buy.itunes.apple.com".

While trying to manually upgrade her itunes software, I came across a message that suggested that the computer date and time where incorrect. Low and behold, when I checked her date and time were, for some reason two years behind.

Once I corrected the date and time, I was able to update the itunes software and download her new music. All is good.

iTunes can't verify the identity of the server "p20-buy.itunes.apple.com".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.