Skip navigation

Can't find documents after migrating from PC

1243 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 9:20 PM by melphillips RSS
beth348 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 7, 2011 9:34 AM

I've just tried to transfer everything from my PC to my Mac using the migration assistant. It said the job was completed, and showed the files transferring, but I can't find them on my Mac. Please can you help?

MacBook Pro
  • ds store Level 7 Level 7 (30,305 points)
    Nov 7, 2011 9:53 AM (in response to beth348)

I assume you logged into the user, then looked in your Music, Pictures and Movie type folders right?

If not there, you might just have to transfer manually.

It's no big deal, you just need a external drive formatted FAT32 (aks FAT, MSDOS) on the Windows PC, transfer your files folders to it and then connect it to the Mac.

If you happened to have larger than 4GB sized files, you need to format the drive exFAT on Windows, if you have Windows XP you need to download exFAT from Microsoft and install that first before formatting the drive. Vista and Win 7 already has exFAT.

Mac's can read/write exFAT and FAT32 no problem, it's if you format the exteranl drive NTFS on Windows that the Mac can't write it.

Perhaps that's why your migration didn't go as expected, Microsoft may have slightly changed something and the Mac didn't read the NTFS drive and it's changes.

So go the FAT32/ exFAT with a external drive and just transfer the contents of your files into the same folders on the same named user on the Mac and most everything should work as expected.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16276201#16276201

• Ismoismo Calculating status...
    Jan 31, 2012 5:59 AM (in response to beth348)

It's probably a little laate now but...

Go to

 > System Preferences... > Users & Groups

have a look at the available account names. Chances are your files are in a different user account. Log out of the current account and log in to the right one if that is the case.

• wjosten Level 10 Level 10 (91,550 points)
    Jan 31, 2012 6:05 AM (in response to beth348)

They're there...look in your documents folder or under "Users" for a "Shared User".

• melphillips Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Feb 14, 2013 9:20 PM (in response to Ismoismo)

This may have been late for the person originally asking the question, but your answer saved me a great deal of time, thank-you!!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.