Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I rearrange reminders?

Is there a way to rearrange the reminder list? Mine has things arranged randomly as I created them instead of by the time of the reminder.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 10:38 AM

10 replies

Nov 8, 2011 6:14 PM in response to buffalowm

Other suggestions for Reminder improvements:

1. Sort by date in each list.

2. Allow items to have due dates when entered on iPhone or iPad. Currently one can only do this in iCloud.

3. Use Filters to show selected lists.

4. Have a view that shows only the days items in all the lists.

Please give us more flexibility to sortby date & priority; I have > 700 items.

Nov 15, 2011 3:57 PM in response to apple-alias

I searched forever for documentation on how to sort reminders, finally finding a tiny note in the Release Notes that it is NOT possible to do so.

Reminders would be more useful if I could sort them, especially alphabetically. But I'm game for more options as suggested above.

Within Completed, it would be nice to sort by original list and alpha.

I've discovered that I can search items in Reminders using the global search, but for some items, especially things like Groceries (the prototypical list Apple demonstrated in its iOS 5 introduction), it's easier to search in "Completed" when sorted by alpha. (Computer science includes both sort and search as fundamental algorithms for a reason!)

Dec 2, 2011 8:37 AM in response to buffalowm

ICal Reminders won't sort on the actual device it was intended for - the Iphone

I just talked to Apple Express service over this problem. I went to the trouble of transferring my to-do list onto icloud Reminders - where each item asked for a priority ranking and where you are then given options for how to sort all the Reminders you entered - so that it can actually be useable as any Calendar/time management system would be. I chose "by priority" of course, but you can also choose alphabetically, etc. It must be said, at least to Apple, apparently, that the point of doing all this is so that the Reminders are available on your actual device - my iphone. The Reminders all synced immediately to the Iphone. However, the Reminders list is an unsorted jumble on my iphone. Even when I tap out a Reminder on my iphone itself and choose a priority, the item remains at the bottom of the list as the last thing I typed in. Apple Express Support "explains" that the priority ranking and the sorting choices are "not supported" on the device you want to use them on - the iphone. They offered me "an article" that explains this in detail. In other words, engaging with the Reminder function and choosing priorities and choosing sort orders is all just a cruel joke wasting your time. I would have been better off just printing off my Reminders list on paper and circling the high priority items in red ink. Oh - but you can't print it out either.

Unbelieveable. Apple's ICal Reminder function actually and actively leads you to engage with completing details and choices that don't even function, or in other words - aren't "supported" on the Apple device they are stated to be designed for. Is there a device on which this function is actually supported? "Not at this time"

The only way to have your to-do list sorted on the iphone is to assign a calendar date for each one of them and then they only appear on that specific date. You would not be able to view your whole list in anything other than the order you happened to enter the items. No calendar/time management system I know of makes you put a date on every item in a task list - some tasks have a due date, but most don't. And every calendar/time management system allows you to sort your list, or view your list in a sorted order. And print it out also.

Apple advertises this Icloud Ical/Reminders system as a time managment tool and fails to tell us that vital functions don't even work on your iphone.

Dec 2, 2011 9:07 AM in response to CT

Well, among the whining there were a few facts: To re-state the problem - yes, you can do all those things in ICal on the computer or on ICloud. However, on the Iphone - the device where you would want access to all those things - the sorting options and arrangements you mention "are not supported". On your iphone, those reminders will not be sorted, regardless of how you chose to sort them. They will be a jumble. And yes, you can spend time clicking and dragging on ICal. But it won't appear that way on your Iphone. They will, again, be an unsorted jumble. So don't bother putting your to-do list on Reminders in ICal. It's not supported in a useable fashion on your Iphone - where, for most people, you expect to have it available.

How do I rearrange reminders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.