Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Server Software Update Issues

Can anyone PLEASE HELP!

I've been having major issues with my software update service since updating to Lion Server.

What Happens: I try and run software update from the Apple menu. It hangs for about 1min before it fires back 'The Software update Server (.....-......-iMac.local) is not responding.

If I try the same procedure from system prefs it says the last attempt failed beacause it failed to connect to the internet. My internet connecton is fine. I've got no problems connecting to the internet through Safari or using any other app.

If I run Software Update through Server Admin, it's got a list of 184 updates with blue dots next to copied and ticked boxes in enable but they never dissapear? I don't think they're being downloaded?

I need help with this as it's been a few months now and it's starting to grate!

thanks in advance,

Dan

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 27" 2.93 i7; 8GB 2TB

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 11:30 AM

1 reply

Jun 6, 2012 4:17 AM in response to welshdan

Hi mate this just worked for me:

HazyRigby

Re: Software Update can’t find the update server

Sep 8, 2008 12:49 AM (in response to blue.blar)

Hi blue,

Assuming that your Internet connectivity is working fine otherwise—

Try moving (if you'd like to replace it if this doesn't fix the problem) or deleting the file /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist.

If that doesn't work, I'd go to Apple's downloads page and get the 10.5.4 combo updater and install that. That might fix it.

Hope that helps!

—Hazy

iBook, iMac (early Intel), MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

File must go in Trash though ok!

Lion Server Software Update Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.