Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Always boots Startup Manager

Hello,

I own a mac mini server 2011. I replaced the lower HD with SSD and then booted by hitting cmd-R to install lion. Install worked fine but I have a problem when I boot almost always it loads the startup manager. I have tried to set startup disk the SSD, unplug mouse/keyboard, repair disk, repair permissions but it stil it doesn't boot. Everytime I have to choose between mac os partition and the recovery partition. Resetting nvram is not working. I have tried it but it's just not working , I hear the startup sound once and it loads the startup manager or the recovery (I think it's capturing cmd-R as input).

In sys prefs at "Startup Disk" Mac Os is selected but If I click restart at next boot it will load mac os fine. Next time the Startup Manager pops up again.

Any ideas? I am desperate I don't know what to do. I have installed every update.

Thank you

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 11:27 AM

15 replies

Nov 22, 2011 12:45 PM in response to Nicola

I still haven't find a solution. I had tried to clean install Lion I thought it worked for a while but the boot manager appears again. I have a wired keyboard and mouse connected. The arrow is point the default boot disk but I have to click in order to boot. Thats a problem if I want to remote restart the mac mini server it won't boot. There is no a timer or something at least to not stay forever at boot manager screen.

Please I really need a solution.

Thank you

Jan 11, 2012 3:41 AM in response to etsi

I dont think that is the answer, out of interest is this happening when you "restart" or just power on, and if its just a normal power on, is the machine turned off at the wall before hand, of just swithced off normaly with AC power still connected?

This only happens to my cleint when he turns it off at the wall also, and powers on,

Jan 11, 2012 4:30 AM in response to etsi

Interesting, thank you for that info, ill continue my research, I will update you if i have anything to add,

one thing we tested what the removal of Bluetooth devices, Magic Mouse, Track Pad etc, have you tried this?

I belive it could be a possible firmware issue, which would envolve an EFI restore, then update again, I would NOT suggest you try this at home, but bring it into an AASP or Genuis bar.

Apr 15, 2012 4:41 AM in response to fotochris

I haven't found any solution yet. Still the same problem.

Is there any way to inform Apple about this problem and have an official reply ?

I bought a mac mini server , which is a SERVER and I want to reboot it remotely !!! I can't if I have to select a disk from the boot manager almost every time.

Nov 25, 2013 12:28 PM in response to etsi

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I just set up 6 mac mini's and each one has this issue. I've set up 100's before this and have never had this happen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... I have tried multiple fixes with no luck -

Reset PRAM/NVRAM

Select Startup disk

Wipe HD and reinstall OS

Repair permissions and repair disk in target mode

etc....

Thank you for any response...

Dec 6, 2013 7:36 AM in response to etsi

So I may have found the issue.....

You need clean power. Wherever your system is plugged in seems to be messing with the PRAM/NVRAM settings on power up. We resolved our power issues and I went back to startup disk and selected my Mac HD. Rebooted 4 times with no issues. Did the same on the other 5, all work now. The power seems to have continued to scramble the memory. Now the mini's work fine.

Solution:

Try different power sources and set your startup drive in preferences again...

Hope it works for you as it did for me.

Aug 11, 2014 3:38 PM in response to TG1013

Hello,

We had the same issue and also determined it was power related (after having read your post, thanks!).

In our situation, there is one circuit which we determined is to blame. Other circuits in the office do not cause this issue - unfortunately, the circuit with the issue supplies juice to two offices, so this is not good.

Question - what do you mean by "clean power"? We have a (basic) circuit tester, which test for Open-neutral, Open-hot, missing ground, hot and neutral reversed, etc and our outlets all pass that basic test. What, specifically, was the issue with your power? We naturally want to know if we have a safety concern.

Thanks,

Rique Santiestevan

Mar 15, 2016 8:00 PM in response to etsi

I wonder if anyone has any answer in this now long dormant thread?

I have a recently refurbished (by me) 2007 Mac mini running OS 10.6.8 and I cloned the original HDD to an OWC brand SSD, which I installed along with a RAM upgrade. I also did a clean install of the Snow Leopard OS from the DVD, and then downloaded and installed all updates.

The **** machine boots in Startup Manager no matter what I do, the SSD has been designated the start disk in Sys Prefs, the PRAM and SMC reset etc... still the machine starts with the screen wanting me to click the SSD as the startup disk even though there are no other bootable disk choices, thats the only one.

Always boots Startup Manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.