Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving .mts files into iMovie

First off, let me preface by saying, this is our first mac so there is a learning curve...It's a MacBook Pro and I am using iMovie 11.

I have all of my movies backed up on a myBookLive. It is networked so my computer sees the drive immediately. I moved my photos into iPhoto right away no problem, however my movies are a different story. It found the mpeg but wont import the .mts. I did some Internet surfing and I think i need to convert the files first....but can't figure out what software to use and if I will be able to edit them afterwards.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, iOS 5

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 4:12 PM

2 replies

Nov 10, 2011 3:40 PM in response to nat7ad

You might hit it lucky as there's a free conversion program called MPEG Streamclip. You can download it and drag one of your clips into the App Window then Export it to .mov (In the window that pops up there's a pulldown list and you should Choose Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC). Usually iMovie can import videos directly from a camera that shoots the .mts format. But it is very particular about importing the videos as they sit on the hard drive or memory card of the camera. You see iMovie expects to see the whole set of folders and files that make up the AVCHD camera folder archive. Once you move those .mts files out of their enclosing folders, iMovie is stuck. It doesn't know what to do.

In future just import directly off the camera and iMovie should have no problems.

You might also be able to use a couple other programs out there listed under this iMovie Discussion thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3458881?answerId=16617082022#16617082022

moving .mts files into iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.