Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion not ready for prime time

I waited a month or two before Lion was released before installing it on my Macbook Pro. I wanted to give Apple enough time to work out the initial bugs that turned up. But after using Lion for a few weeks, it seems to me this OS isn't ready. Generally, it is more cumbersome than Snow Leopard. Things that used to take one operation now take two or three. The screen motion in browsers, for example, now set so that the fingers on the trackpad move the page rather than the cursor. This switich seems arbitrary. In practice it means that you can't select/highlight beyond the end of a page, because the page no longer moves up rather than down. You must select to the bottom of the page, stop, move the page up, press shift, and continue to highlight.

For some reason the browser address bar no longer shows http://. This means it's harder to copy and store full URLs.

The most difficult problem with Lion appears to be a difficulty controlling the active focus, i.e. moving from one window to another. In Snow Leopard and previous versions of OSX, you just clicked in a window to make it active. In Lion, sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't.

The most problematic Mac program in Lion is Preview, which handles images and documents. Preview in Lion no longer shows all the separate pages of a document in the sidebar. You have to page through the doc in the main window to move through it, rather than clicking on a page in the side bar. Closing documents in Preview often doesn't close them, so they keep showing up in the sidebar. It's often difficult to move from one document to another by clicking on documents in the sidebar.

Overall, I wish I hadn't upgraded from Snow Leopard, and I hope Apple fixes OSX Lion really fast. If any reader has advice about improving the problems mentioned above, please reply.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 5:36 PM

5 replies

Nov 7, 2011 6:44 PM in response to Richard Kapit

Richard Kapit wrote:

The screen motion in browsers, for example, now set so that the fingers on the trackpad move the page rather than the cursor. This switich seems arbitrary. In practice it means that you can't select/highlight beyond the end of a page, because the page no longer moves up rather than down. You must select to the bottom of the page, stop, move the page up, press shift, and continue to highlight.

I don't understand. It seems to work fine. Scrolling with two fingers scrolls the page. If you select and drag down with one finger, it works the same way it always has.

For some reason the browser address bar no longer shows http://. This means it's harder to copy and store full URLs.

I still don't understand.

User uploaded file

The most difficult problem with Lion appears to be a difficulty controlling the active focus, i.e. moving from one window to another. In Snow Leopard and previous versions of OSX, you just clicked in a window to make it active. In Lion, sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Seems to work fine here.

Preview in Lion no longer shows all the separate pages of a document in the sidebar. You have to page through the doc in the main window to move through it, rather than clicking on a page in the side bar.

It depends on how many documents you have open in the same window. If you have only a single document, each page is in the sidebar. If you open more than one document at once, then you need to click the disclosure triangle to see the pages:

User uploaded file

Closing documents in Preview often doesn't close them, so they keep showing up in the sidebar. It's often difficult to move from one document to another by clicking on documents in the sidebar.

I don't understand. They seem to close fine. Perhaps you have some nasty, incompatible 3rd party software.

Nov 7, 2011 7:15 PM in response to etresoft

Your right about the screen motion, it does move, but more slowly than I was used to in previous versions of OSX. Perhaps that's why I made the mistake. However, there are problems with my version of Preview, at any rate, as I've described. It quits unexpectedly quite often. As far as third party software that may be interfering, perhaps so. But I don't have any idea what it might be. I've installed no programs that are relatively unknown or untested.

Lion not ready for prime time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.