Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Four letter song names on restore from backup

I did a "by the book" back up of all of my songs in my iTunes library to DVD. Since then, my external hard drive crashed. Fortunatly, I had burned copies of most of the songs that were not in the backup format. However, this did not include everthing that I want to recover. So, I have been trying to use the recover function from backup. I am able to recover the songs but they only have the four letter names and not the real song names. Is there a way to get the real names.

Thanks for your help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 5:47 AM

3 replies

Nov 8, 2011 6:53 AM in response to LMPaule

Can you give us more details on the version of iTunes you are using? Unfortunately with recent versions of iTunes 10 "by the book" no longer includes burning to DVD and I am wondering if because this is no longer supported for burning it is also not supported for recovering. It sounds to me like you are getting access to the files through some route that isn't standard and are seeing some kind of encoding that the backup feature used.

Four letter song names on restore from backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.