Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 stuck on connect USB to iTunes screen

After trying to update my iPhone, my phone only shows an iTunes logo and a USB cable and my iTunes no longer recognises my iPhone 4. Need some help please. Have tried restarting my iPhone, computer and have already re-installed iTunes but nothing worked

iPhone 4

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 7:32 AM

9 replies

Mar 8, 2012 2:23 AM in response to darrenbeattie

1. Reset the iPhone by holding the sleep/wake button at the top right of the device and the home button at the bottom center of the face at the same time.
  2. Hold them both until you see the screen go black. In some cases, you may need to keep holding them even after the red power off slider appears. If it does, just keep holding it.
  3. Wait until the white Apple logo appears.
  4. When this happens, you can let go - the iPhone is rebooting.

Mar 14, 2012 6:38 AM in response to darrenbeattie

Mine did the same thing this morning. I've held down both buttons (no red slider ever appears) until it turns off. Once I turn it back on it goes right back to that screen. I tried connecting to itunes which no longer recognizes my device so it wont restore to factory.

This is now know as the SCREEN OF DEATH!!!!!

Anyone know what's going on? I've already tried this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808 ... did not work.

It's like the worst case of the Monday's on Wednesday with 5 meeting lined up and NO PHONE! I die! 😢

Mar 21, 2012 1:06 PM in response to darrenbeattie

Mine did the same thing last night, in the midst of going to the latest iOS. It displayed an error message during the process of installing iOS on phone (wish I'd thought to jot down the error number--it was really late) and the phone just displayed the iTunes logo and the USB cable. I restarted computer, relaunched iTunes, disconnected and reconnected iPhone 4 multiple times (computer makes sound to indicate it recognizes a device) but nothing ever showed up on iTunes and the same logo+USB showed on the screen the whole time. Iheld down both buttons (also no red slider ever appeared) several times and removed the sim card and reinserted it. Nothing worked. Help!

Mar 21, 2012 2:53 PM in response to darrenbeattie

Thanks, Darren.

I'm glad you were able to find a solution! I went to the AT&T store over lunch and they plugged my iPhone into their computer--iTunes could see it so it's still alive at least.

I'm hoping that when I get home and do another full laptop shut down, another download of the new iOS (with virus & firewall disabled, since I've now seen that reported as an issue when downloading this iOS upgrade & I had similar issues to what folks have reported with "network connection timed out" errors last night), and only then plugging in the phone will bring my baby back. If not, it's 1-800-myapple time. Thanks again!

~ALF

Apr 2, 2012 11:10 AM in response to Gdhillon5

@Gdhillon5--

I was finally successful in reviving my iPhone 4 by connecting it to my previous laptop/netbook. It attempted to sync and was unsuccessful, but that at least woke up my phone. I then was able to download the new iOS wirelessly (didn't trust doing it via iTunes) and sync the phone with my regular laptop. It looks like that, or something similar, is what worked for @darrenbeattie above.

I don't know if you have another computer you can use to attempt a sync, but that's what worked for me. Well, that and some serious tequila to temper my attitude. Good luck!

~ALF

iPhone 4 stuck on connect USB to iTunes screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.