Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 1608. Unable to Create InstallDriver instance

Hi All
I've read Adam's post about error 1608
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=802625&#802625
but since I have slighly different problem I decided to open different Thread.

When I got Error 1608, I tried to follow InstallShield recomendations, however I could not execute the first one - Configure the DCOM Settings on Your Computer.
When I click on Component Services->Computers, the window of dcomcnfg is closed. I did a little research and found out that it happens when DCOM Server service is not running.
Indeed, my DCOM Server service is not running even though it is configured as automatic startup type. When I am trying to run it by clicking on Start the service, I get an error back - Could not start the dcom server process... Error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.

In event log there is an entry - The DCOM Server Process Launcher service terminated with the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Any thoughs? Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Alex

LG P4 Centrino Windows XP Pro

Posted on Feb 2, 2006 7:53 PM

6 replies

Feb 2, 2006 8:06 PM in response to Katrina S.

I was there and read 2 articles - The Windows Firewall service in Windows XP Service Pack 2, in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, in Windows Server 2003 SP1, and in x64-based versions of Windows Server 2003 cannot start if the DCOM Process Launcher Service is disabled and You cannot start the Windows Firewall service in Windows XP Service Pack 2. Both seem irrelevant to me. By the way, my windows firewall is working perfectly, but DCOM appears as not started in services window.

LG P4 Centrino Windows XP Pro

Error 1608. Unable to Create InstallDriver instance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.