Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Titles

still finding my way around Aperture 3 having migrated from Studio on a PC. Can Aperture handle scrolling titles in a slideshow?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1), User gradually emigrating from PC

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 10:47 AM

Can't do scrolling titles. For that you'll need to export the slideshow and take it over to iMovie (or Final Cut or any other video editor).

14 replies

Nov 8, 2011 11:07 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

That might be true, haven;t used Keynote in a while. But its a bit cumbersome to use to create straight sideshows (at least for me).

If I was doing a straight sideshow I'd definitely go with one of the video options, either opening Apertures .mov file in one of them or else doing it all in the video program.

I never did get use to presentaion software, but that's just me.

Nov 10, 2011 10:11 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

To summarize the options:

1. Use one of the basic themes in Aperture (Classic, Ken Burns): This will allow you to insert blank slides with text (from the cog wheel above the film strip); if you set an animated transition effect for these slides and set the duration of the transitions for these slides to a long time (e.g. 3 seconds) you will have some sort of neat animated title, very similar to what you can do in Keynote.
  2. Render the Aperture Slideshow as Quicktime movie and add titles and other effects in a video editor (iMovie, Final Cut, etc. )
  3. Create the whole Slideshow with presentation software (Keynote, PPT) or a video editor
  4. Create an animated Title Video clip (with Keynote, iMovie, POVray, Quartz Composer, ...) and import that into your Aperture Slideshow to use as an animated title.

Pros and Cons:

1. Pro: You can do it completely in Aperture and the titles do fit in well with the theme of your slideshow. And you can present your slideshow from within Aperture and do not have to render a quicktime movie. Con: doesn't work with the more advanced themes, no relally spectacular title animations available
  2. Pro: This will certainly work, and you will have advanced and spectacular titles animations. con: you will loose the ability to present your slideshow from within Aperture and you have less control when presenting it as movie; the rendering takes a very long time and the rendered movie eats up your disk space; you will have to render the movie over and over again, if you want to add or remove slides.
  3. Pro: In Keynote or Powerpoint you can present your show from within the application like in Aperture, no need to render a movie; con: external to Aperture
  4. Pro: more advanced Titles, while still keeping the slideshow with Aperture, no need to render a movie, more control over the presentation. con: you need a video processor or ray tracer

My favorite approach is a mixture of 1 and 4; I like to insert text slides with a little text animation and use a ray tracer like quartz composer or POVray to create advanced animations that I import as video clips into the slide show.

Did I forget something?

-- Léonie

Nov 11, 2011 4:06 AM in response to ashleyrey

Take a look at Keynote. _I_ like it. After having to remove my brain, roll it into doughy lengths, tangle them all up, and then put it all back in order to make a slidehow with iMovie, Keynote was very much a refreshingly direct "chute, splash, done". It is -- like iPhoto -- not comprehensive -- but it is -- also like iPhoto -- within reach, straightforward, and well-stocked with standard effects.

You don't need (or least didn't need last time I used it) a video processor or ray tracer to use any of the many and satisfactory built-in animation effects. If your slideshow is mostly static slides of photographs, Léonie's #4 sounds like a very good (and simple) way to go. If you are creating a presentation to accompany a talk/lecture/lesson, then I would craft the whole thing in Keynote as it allows much more control of the audience's attention.

Dec 7, 2012 2:17 AM in response to léonie

Leonie

A whole year ago you gave me advice on animated titles within Aperture and suggested using a mix of Aperture and Keynote. Well I have finally got round to trying to sort out some of my photos with slideshows and animated titles and have produced titles with which I am happy in Keynote (thanks for this so far!). Now I have problems in trying to import these titles into Aperture. HELP!!

Titles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.