Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I find a wifi solution for older Mac Mini?

First of all, my apologies if this is an off-topic post, but I assume there is some great wifi knowledge here, so perhaps I'm not too far off the mark? Here's my dilemma. I am moving my Mom's old Mini into an office that isn't wired for cable or Ethernet. Her Mini did not come equipped with an internal Airport card, nor any of the antennas and assorted internal goodies that came with the machines equipped to be wireless from the factory. My idea was to use a USB dongle rather than look for all of the parts I'd need to do something internally. The trouble is that when I go into the local Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, etc., there appears to be nothing I can purchase off the shelf that works with a Mac out of the box. Can anyone tell me what I need to look for as far as a make and model that will have drivers which will work for a G4 Mini running OSX 10.5.7? Will I see a drastic reduction in speed as compared to the current Ethernet-tethered configuration? How about those Ethernet network extenders that plug into an outlet and utilize the electrical wires in the home as their medium of data transport? I don't really know what direction to go in to solve my problem. What products/methods would you choose, if this was your dilemma? Thanks in advance for any wisdome you care to impart.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 12:15 PM

2 replies

Nov 8, 2011 1:43 PM in response to mortenrobinson

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, I'll wager the Apple Store solution would be prohibitively epensive, given the age of the Mini, so the Airport route is pretty much out of the question. I could install the internals myself, since I'm no stranger to the insides of a Mini, having installed RAM and hard drive upgrades in several over the years. But I was really looking for some input on what specific brands of wifi adapters others have used with success. Also, maybe an idea of what kind of speed penalty I'd be looking at by going the USB route. You're right. Google does bring up numerous hits, but some of the brands are new to me; not the more familiar names like Linksys, Belkin, Netgear, etc. I have read some horror stories/reviews about some of the off the wall brands, so I hate to take a leap of faith on something that might turn out to be junk, or extremely convoluted to configure. I was hoping someone could nudge me toward a brand they know works and plays well with Macs and does so simply and dependably. I hope this explains what I'm trying to accomplish a bit better. 🙂

How can I find a wifi solution for older Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.