Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WorkGroup Manager Details - com.apple.dock.plist

I set up network user accounts through WorkGroup Manager (version 10.6.3) with local home directories. I want these users to access their network home folders in order to save documents and retrieve them on multiple computers. I currently have a shortcut on the dock that connects them to the main network folder which contains all users' home folders, which means all users can see all other users' folders. They can only access their own folder, based on folder permissions, but I don't want them to see all the others. I'd like to edit the server shortcut on the dock so that the user gets connected directly to his or her own folder. It would be a huge waste of time to individually add each users' folder shortcut to each users' account in WGM, so I need a way to make this happen as a general setting for all users.

The shortcut currently points to afp://server/all_homes, then the user chooses his home folder from the hundreds listed. To make it easier, I want to have the shortcut point directly to afp://server/all_homes/current_user_home.

Is there a way to make this happen in WGM that basically reads the user name and adds it to the end of the shortcut path? I'm looking in WGM under user preferences details page, where all the plist editing stuff is. I'm trying to see if there's a way to accomplish this by editing the com.apple.dock.plist

Or, if nothing else, is there a way to hide all folders that the user does not have permissions to access? That would be another option.

Any suggestions on the easiest way to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Workgroup Manager-OTHER, Other OS

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 12:19 PM

There are no replies.

WorkGroup Manager Details - com.apple.dock.plist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.