Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch: "dock connector" message instead of volume slider, no sound

Since Google didn't turn any solutions I turn to you guys...

Here's the short of it: my iPod Touch 2G currently says "dock connector" where you would normally see the volume slider and will not play audio unless it's connected to a dock. When I use the alarm (or another such non-dock app) I'll get audio but otherwise nothing.

I'm not sure whether this is related but these past couple of weeks I've been having trouble with the headphone jack, occasionally getting no audio, requiring me to unplug/plug to until it started working. It would eventually start working normally.

I've tried...

Hard resets.

Full restore to factory settings.

Swabbing the connector.

Swabbing the jack.

Blowing into both ports.

Vacuuming out both ports.

I currently have it completely turned off because I heard accumulated moisture might eventually dry out though apart from light snow and rain these past few weeks (with maybe seconds with the thing out of my pocket) there's been zero exposure to moisture.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 6:26 PM

5 replies

Nov 10, 2011 2:48 PM in response to Dr Handsome

Here's the update:

I opened up the glass (mind you I'm out of warranty so keep that in mind before you pry open your own iPod Touch-- iFixit.com will help with the teardown) and found what I thought to be corosion, swabbed it with a VERY small amount rubbing alcohol.

Unfortunately after closing it up I still saw the message "Dock Connector" but my headphones worked. I figured I might've missed some corrosion, took up the glass one more time, and ended up clumsily tearing a crucial piece on the glass portion. I ordered replacement for the dubious price of 12 dollars so we'll see how that goes.

My own clumsiness aside, if you're completely 100% out of options and warranty with regards to the 'Dock Connector' message DELICATELY pulling up the glass and swabbing any signs of corrosion MIGHT work for you too.

I'll post a folowup once my replacement part comes in the mail.

Nov 14, 2011 1:13 PM in response to Dr Handsome

I got my new glass which seems to be working fine so far. Here's the update I promised, I could still benefit from some input:

When there's nothing plugged in I'm still getting the 'Dock Connector' error but now the headphone jack is giving me audio which is all I personally need at the moment.

My guess is that these are two isolated issues; while the corrosion I cleaned up got the headphones working (this overrides the 'dock connector' mode) there's something else causing the iPod Touch to constantly think it's connected to a dock when it isn't.

iPod Touch: "dock connector" message instead of volume slider, no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.