Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I deleted Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder

Hi, I was clumsy yesterday trying to clear out my Mac and I deleted the above folder. When I turned the computer back on my login window appeared (it's usually off), my WiFi had to be turned back on again, my system preferences is mostly frozen and iTunes takes about 4 minutes to open. These are just what I've noticed, the whole computer feels really buggy. What can I do to resolve this? I know I was stupid to delete that folder but I don't know what to do from here.

Many thanks

Running latest Lion.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 3:01 AM

14 replies

Nov 9, 2011 3:39 AM in response to saddact

You don't have a back up???? That is asking for a disaster.

try to boot directly into the Recovery HD, restart, wait for chime, press and hold COMMAND-R. From there try reinstalling Lion over the copy you have now. You will still ned to adjust some of your settings, but chances are good it will restore the missing components causing you trouble.

If you had a Time Machine backup, you could have just gone back to the last backup you had before deleting the folder.

Nov 9, 2011 8:50 AM in response to saddact

Hi, thanks for the feedback guys. I think I deleted everything inside the preferences folder. I'm suprised this can't seem to be solved simply other than reinstalling Lion! Other things I've noticed is preview doesn't work with video and computer noises like the trash sounds are delayed by about 2 minutes, everything just seems bugged to the max!

I haven't lost anything, I'm typing this on the same machine but I may trasnfer eveything out and reinstall Lion if that really is the only way to solve it.

Nov 11, 2011 4:12 PM in response to saddact

Great!

Now, please consider backing-up your Mac. All hard drives fail, sooner or later; files sometimes get corrupted; users make mistakes, computers (especially laptops) sometimes get lost or stolen, etc., etc.

You might want to review the Time Machine Tutorial, and perhaps browse Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions.

And/or, see: http://www.reedcorner.net/guides/backups/

Nov 20, 2011 7:07 AM in response to saddact

You gave yourself an unnecessary headache by the sound of it. That folder would have been recreated if you'd just restarted the machine, as I think Tony pointed out above.

Take the advice about keeping a bootable clone while you're here, especially if you have a penchant for messing about in the Library folder. Use Carbon Copy Cloner and put it on a regular timed schedule. You can choose anything from once an hour to once a day (of course you can choose longer periods, but then you're likely to lose a lot of work).

I deleted Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.