Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TIME IN to TIME OUT = HOURS formula on Numbers 09 - PLEASE HELP!

Hi,

I've just got Numbers '09 and I have a question about formulas.

I want to have column A (time in - eg. 1PM), then column B (time out eg. - 3PM) and column C (number of hours worked, calculated automatically).

I have figured out how to get Numbers 09 to calculate the number of hours (C = B-A) BUT... when I put in TIME OUT hours that are past midnight (eg. 00:30 AM) the whole thing goes haywire!

Can anyone out there provide me with a simple solution for columns A, B and C that can deal with a 24 hour clock and a shift that goes past midnight?

All I need it to do is calculate the number of hours worked in column C, after inputting the start time in column A, and the finish time in column B.

Thanks!!

D

New Aluminium Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 11:15 AM

You have to be very careful with Date&Time values when you are using them as Time only. Whether it is displayed in the cell or not, there is an implied date. It is best to strip the date off of it:

=HOUR(B)-HOUR(A)+IF(HOUR(B)<HOUR(A),24,0)

13 replies

Nov 9, 2011 11:49 AM in response to Wayne Contello

I feel it is important to strip the date from Date & Time cells that are being used for time of day only. There was a discussion a while back about the timesheet template where this was a major problem. Editing of the time entry popup resulted in "times" that were months (or maybe more than a year) different than the other times in the popup and this threw all the calculations way off.

Nov 9, 2011 2:02 PM in response to iamimp

Keep in mind.... the method I provided does not address the problem Badunit highlights which is that the "Date" portion of the cell contents may change to many days different (if you enter a time on a different day then when you originally entered the time).

Here is an updated attempt to address this:

User uploaded file

C2=IFERROR(TIMEVALUE(A2),"")

D2=IFERROR(TIMEVALUE(B2),"")

E2=IFERROR(IF(D2<C2, 1-(C2-D2), D2-C2),"")

F2=IFERROR(INT(24*E2),"")

G2=IFERROR(ROUND(MOD(24*60*E2, 60),0),"")

H2=IF(F2="", "", F2&"h "&G2&"m")

All the iferror() stuff is to supress entries in calculation cells when there is no time entry

Lastly... format the time entry cells as time only:

User uploaded file

Nov 10, 2011 6:23 PM in response to iamimp

Actually, the DUR2HOURS function is perfect there. So long as the date and time are present in the format and you actually change the date on the post-midnight time it works like a charm...

EX:

Cell A1 11/10/2011 9:00:00 AM

Cell B1 11/11/2011 2:00:00 AM

Cell C1: =DUR2HOURS (B1-A1)

Result is 17, expressed as a regular number that you can use in calculations.

Good luck!

Crystal

Nov 11, 2011 1:11 AM in response to iamimp

There are several more formulas/functions that I use for a complicated timecard (used in the IATSE union for sound editors on feature films and television shows). I would be happy to share this with you and to advise you on your specific case. Mine has complicated rules which require me to compare hours worked, elapsed hour from call time, duration of rest periods and how they affect overtime payment. As an example, if a mixer works 2 hours, is dismissed for 3 then works 5 more, I must pay them 10 hours, including the 3 hours the were dismissed. If they were dismissed for 5 hours then brought back for 5 hours of work I would pay for the 8 hours actually worked, one of which at overtime. For even though they never exceeded 8 hours, the last hour took place after 12 hours elapsed from call time. The rules become even more complicated with minimum calls, and night premiumss.

I trust that you could derive much use from my work and that it would be quite simple for me to help with your project. I can't imagine a timecard more complicated than this one!

You may email me at crystal@kingsoundworks.com

TIME IN to TIME OUT = HOURS formula on Numbers 09 - PLEASE HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.