Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Discharging during use of Skype On Charger!?

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7286/screenshot20111109at114.jpg

User uploaded file

Calling all battery & Power experts.

Skype 5.4.0.1217 and earlier builds aside from classic 2.8 build which does not support lion screen sharing nor does it support automatic camera start are causing my fans to kick on high and causing excessive CPU usage. OK all that is already established, Skype is crap from microcrap, we all know that. BUT this is the killer for me, in the last week or two, I noticed something FAILED hardware wise. I kind of want to blame my charger, but maybe the logic board or battery. My mac is DISCHARGING albeit slowly while I have skype running with a video call on it, only way for me to stop this is to end the video on my end, seeing the other persons video is fine but when I turn mine on fans kick on CPU gets killed. Can someone explain to me though why it would start causing this kind of issue?

thanks!

MacBook Pro 15, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 11:24 AM

Unusual but not unexpected.

This Apple article has a subtle bit of wording that probably explains what you see:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2332

specifically this:

If the battery is removed from a MacBook or MacBook Pro, the computer will automatically reduce the processor speed. This prevents the computer from shutting down if it demands more power than the A/C adaptor alone can provide.

(my emphasis)

This seems to say Apple anticipated some very demanding apps would need extra power, requiring the battery to supplement the A/C source.

The fact that your fans spin up supports your observation about the app being a kludge-hog.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2011 11:24 AM in response to alin0steglinski

Unusual but not unexpected.

This Apple article has a subtle bit of wording that probably explains what you see:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2332

specifically this:

If the battery is removed from a MacBook or MacBook Pro, the computer will automatically reduce the processor speed. This prevents the computer from shutting down if it demands more power than the A/C adaptor alone can provide.

(my emphasis)

This seems to say Apple anticipated some very demanding apps would need extra power, requiring the battery to supplement the A/C source.

The fact that your fans spin up supports your observation about the app being a kludge-hog.

Nov 9, 2011 11:29 AM in response to alin0steglinski

Skype video calling is a monstrous energy hog, and when you do it, your MBP is demanding more power than its AC adapter can provide. Under those conditions, the battery is drawn upon to make up the power deficit. This is by design, and is the way the machine is supposed to operate.

To limit the impact of Skype video calling, you can either a) not do it, which is what I recommend, or b) make sure nothing else is drawing power at the same time: no bus-powered peripheral devices connected (hard drives, iPhones, iPods, iPads, mice, trackpads, joysticks, etc), no other apps running, and no power-hungry background processes eating up processor cycles.

Nov 9, 2011 11:30 AM in response to Allan Jones

Helpful but mine has a non removable battery thusly what happens when my battery hits zero? let alone the AC adapter SHOULD be charging the computer or at least preventing batt drain as the app is causing my mac to be at -.6 amps per hour. charger max is 4.6 amps max so therefore the app must be drawing approx 4.6 amps... why the **** it is drawing so much I have no idea.

User uploaded file

heck its the most resource intensive thing out of all my processes right now...

all i can say is what the heck is up with this crap?

Battery Discharging during use of Skype On Charger!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.