Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I move my Keychain to a new user account?

I've been having a few annoying little problems that I believe may be caused by some problem in my User Account that I don't know how to fix. I want to create a new user account, but I want to import my Keychain (and Address book) into the new account (I couldn't have logged into this site without my Keychain!)

Can this be done?

(Because it might be asked, the problems I've been having with this account are: any time the "Media Brownser" button is touched in MS Office, the Office app crashes [Office Support Communities says it's a problem with my user account] and other apps can't seem to add contextual menu items [Dropbox, Google Notifyer].)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz, 3Gb RAM

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 11:43 AM

7 replies

Nov 10, 2011 11:02 AM in response to baltwo

I have previously confirmed that the errors are isolated to my user account by creating a new account. I've not been able to find a way to repair whatever it is that's wrong with my original account.

My hope was that there was a way to "restore" the keychain to a new account that would be duplicative of the old one, perhaps by deleting the old account, creating one that's identical (but empty) then restoring items to it selectively.

Nov 10, 2011 3:51 PM in response to Jason Walker1

Sure you can copy a keychain. They are located at ~/Library/Keychains. If the new user already has a keychain you don't want to replace, you can put the copied one anywhere you want, or rename it. If you do that, then import it using Keychain Access, File > Add Keychain…. Regardless of what it is named, the keychain will retain its old password, and will not open automatically if the new user password is different.

Can I move my Keychain to a new user account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.