Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 11 and quality of AVCHD-AIC-MOV file conversion?

I import my AVCHD files into iMovie by connecting a Sony HDR XR520 AVCHD camcorder without a problem and iMovie converts the footage into what I belieive to be AIC. In Sony Vegas Pro 9 on my PC I can easily create an AVCHD disk on a standard DVD, how can do something similar using my Macbook Pro 15" i7 2.2 Quad core?

I have been converting the video that I have made into .mov files at full 1080 in iMovie then putting the file onto my PC in Sony Vegas then creating an AVCHD DVD that way.

How much quality am I loosing by importing to iMovie (AIC) then rendering to a .mov file then converting back to AVCHD in Vegas?

Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance.

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Macbook Pro 15" i7 2.2 Quad core

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 12:20 PM

If you're doing any editing in iMovie there's no way to skip that step of converting to AIC. That's what it uses to regenerate all the missing video frames that AVCHD 'estimates' in it's attempt to make much, much smaller, highly compressed file sizes. If you're not doing a lot of editing at all, but just want to create Blu-ray disks, skip iMovie altogether and maybe just try to come up with A Sony Vegas only solution? I guess I'm curious why you're going back and forth Mac/PC and Vegas/iMovie.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2011 12:20 PM in response to mufcmad

If you're doing any editing in iMovie there's no way to skip that step of converting to AIC. That's what it uses to regenerate all the missing video frames that AVCHD 'estimates' in it's attempt to make much, much smaller, highly compressed file sizes. If you're not doing a lot of editing at all, but just want to create Blu-ray disks, skip iMovie altogether and maybe just try to come up with A Sony Vegas only solution? I guess I'm curious why you're going back and forth Mac/PC and Vegas/iMovie.

Nov 11, 2011 3:19 PM in response to elikness

I'm using iMovie because I like the GUI and I have only just bought the MacBook so I thought I would put it through its paces (the wife has always wanted one). I built a pc with an i7 quad overclocked to 3.8ghz, 8 gb 1600 ram and it edits/converts avchd on the fly with no problems. I'm still wondering why I spent so much money on a MacBook for her!

I understand the Apple attraction for build quality but for the money I still think a self built pc gives me more satisfaction and power for the money. I think if iMovie output avchd to dvd after editing it would be a great piece of software. Most consumer HD camcorders are Avchd so I think Apple needs to move with the times a bit more.

Nov 11, 2011 3:39 PM in response to mufcmad

That's true you can build an incredibly fast PC and given the graphics cards available too I imagine Vegas can take advantage of them for rendering effects like transitions, and titles too. My feeling is the best you could hope to do (and it's going to eat up a ton of disk space) is to Import using Full Size and let iMovie do the conversion to AIC. Then for export, try the largest FullHD size available under the Share Menu > Export Movie... All the biggest sizes should be available when you go to export it.

Then from there, import it back to your PC and make the AVCHD DVD-R disk. I think that's going to keep the frame sizes big enough to take advantage of your Blu-ray playback device, and not touch the video frames too much in between. But files sizes are going to be incredibly large compared to the file sizes coming off of the AVCHD camera itself. So be prepared for some file size bloat.

Nov 12, 2011 8:08 AM in response to mufcmad

No problem, I'm always trying to keep up with the newer cameras and formats. I have an older pre-Blu-ray/AVCHD version of Toast. So I haven't kept it up to date. Toast would allow you to stay on the Mac from importing into iMovie to final burning of the AVCHD DVD-R. That could save you a lot of time moving big files back and forth to the Windows computer. And that time saved may be worth the money. I say use your best judgement, everyone's situation is going to be unique.

iMovie 11 and quality of AVCHD-AIC-MOV file conversion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.