Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX 10.3.9, Safari 1.3.2 and Google

I am using Mac OSX 10.3.9 with its Safari 1.3.2 and am running into trouble with doing Google searches.When I do a Google search, Safari Closes. Is anyone else using this setup experiencing this problem? Is anyone using this setup and not experiencing this problem?The system specifics are:

450MHz PowerPC G-4/ 640MB RAM. Thanks

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 4:17 PM

14 replies

Nov 20, 2011 5:55 AM in response to sdfox7

Thanks. I found the solution to the problem was to disable Java Scripts: with that google/safari works fine. The problem was not specificaly Safari, other that the inability to update it or switch search engines; the problem was safari's inability to use its own google search box. I will look into Opera as an alternative because I have a feeling this problem will eventualy recur again;When it does it will be good to know my browser alternatives in advance.

Jan 16, 2012 4:40 PM in response to Brian_970

Right on target Brian, I just picked up an iBookG4 for my grandson and everything worked fine except that Google and google/search kept dropping off during loading. (1.256ram, 10.3.9, & safari 1.3.2)

Local Apple store doesn't know, but sure if we start upgrading OS etc we should....

Apple Store in Phoenix said they wouldn't even talk to me about it. Not parts, no s/w & no ideas!!

So I just de-selected Java Scripts (that's all) and everything looks like it now works. Not sure yet about Google Docs, and not sure how long it'll be before some program requires scripts, but no software lives forever I guess.

Thanks

Jan 30, 2012 9:13 AM in response to Gnarly Old Dude

Addendum to above.

Un-select Java Scripts and most everything does work, except: Google.Docs and Google mail is now in HTML form only . And other new "social" stuff starts to mess up for the kid. If I then add Firefox 2.0.0.20 (highest for 10.3.9), If you can put Java Scripts back on and more things work, but still not Google.doc & mail in non-HTML.

I'm going to upgrade to Tiger tomorrow and jump to Firefox 3.5.19 (highest for OS 4 with powerPC). Stay tuned.

Jan 30, 2012 6:54 PM in response to Brian_970

Yep. With Java Scripts back on, Google itself will load up and work...on Safari 1.3.2 and on Firefox 2.0.0.20., The web tells me that Firefox is as current as I can go with 10.3.

But Google mail still drops to HTML format and Google.doc does Not work at all. So I'm a little ahead, but the grandson uses G..Docs often in school now, so I'm going to get Tiger loaded tomorrow. I don't think it'll work and I'll talk to the tech about maybe Leopard. And if Tiger seems ok, the web tells me I can step Firefox up to 3.5.19., or 8.0 for Leopard. Yahoo mail seems to work normally right now.

But I know I can't put 10.6 or 10.7 on this machine.

BTY this is a PowerPC iBook G4 and not with the Intel processor...and that may be the stumbling point

(also 1.25 ram and 1.33 processor)

The Old Mac apps site: http://mac.oldapps.com/firefox.php?system=mac_os_x_10.3_panther is a lot of help for selection of Firefox versions.

Thanks for the thought and please fell free to toss any ideas my way.

Feb 8, 2012 8:33 PM in response to Gnarly Old Dude

Final report.

Loaded Leopard. And with the increased 1G RAM (to 1.256) is all it took. Think I've got everything I needed except that Foxfire won't load any version beyond 2.0.0.20 (even tho the "mac.old apps" sites says I should be able to go to 3.5.19 or 8.0).

The stopping point is that you need a Intel chip--and not a PowerPC-- to handle OS 0.6 or 7. Google Chrome also won't load, but so what. And some new programs coming down the pike will probably bounce also...I know iCloud won't.

Feb 8, 2012 8:50 PM in response to Gnarly Old Dude

Not sure what you did. I'm using Leopard on my recreational G5 iMac as we speak and Firefox 3.6 fully supports PowerPC. However I usually use Safari since it's the default browser on my iPhone, iBook, iMac and PowerBook. See, in the screenshot below that I took, I highlighted the PPC in the Firefox 3.6.26 user agent:

User uploaded file

The final release of 3.6 branch (3.6.28) of Firefox will be released in April (according to this blog 3.6.28 will be the last for the 3.6 branch). In the meantime you can use TenFourFox which is always being updated, or Safari 5 which in my opinion is highly capable and HTML5 compliant. And you can save up for a new Intel Mac 🙂.

Feb 8, 2012 9:36 PM in response to sdfox7

I use Safari also and he has it also, but it's the Grandson's computer (HS Freshman) and he's use to Firefox, so....

After we loaded Leopard and updated everything I used http://mac.oldapps.com/firefox.php?old_firefox=101 site to try versions. Tried 8.0 and 3.6.23 (which is as high as that site shows w/ 10.5 & PPC. Both said they couldn't work with this computer. So I went back to 2.0.0.20 which does work...altho I don't know what he's missing with a 3 year old program. He has less RAM than you do -- think that might catch us?

That site says 3.6.24 goes to Intel only and not for PPC...and doesn't show any higher 3.6. for any processor.

Have you got a site I can download a 3.26?

Feb 8, 2012 9:45 PM in response to Gnarly Old Dude

I don't know how reliable that oldapps website is; half the stuff they post says it's supported under Windows 95, which of course most developers haven't supported in years!

The current Firefox 3.6.26 installer is UNIVERSAL and installs on both PowerPC and Intel, don't need a separate installer for either:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/3.6.26/mac/en-US/Firefox%203.6.26.dmg

I'll be up for a while, I work 2nd shift and just got home. Try it out and let me know if it works for you, I'm sure it will!

Feb 8, 2012 10:07 PM in response to Gnarly Old Dude

Ok. When you get there, you can download the file. OS X will automatically 'verify' and open the disk image.

From there, on the window that appears, drag and drop the orange Firefox logo into the Applications folder to the right. Once the file has copied, click on the hard drive on the desktop, then click Applications, then click on the Firefox icon. Firefox should start if the process was done correctly.

If you have problems send me a note with your phone # (don't post it here), I'll call you from my iPhone and walk you through it.

OSX 10.3.9, Safari 1.3.2 and Google

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.