Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do you need a computer to set up an iPhone?

My GF just bought an iPhone but she has no access to a computer at the moment. Can she create an Apple ID from her phone or no? I am thinking about possibly allowing her to use my computer so she can create an Apple ID account so she can start downloading some apps and get her own iTunes Library file as well to store her music. Someome told her that she would need to set up her account on her computer only. Is this true?

Thanks!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 6:45 PM

6 replies

Nov 9, 2011 6:56 PM in response to DVX100Shooter

She can set up her iPhone right on the phone without having to access any PC/Mac. But activation is still done via iTunes via PC/Mac. But it should be done for you by Apple store or your telco.

Apple ID can be set up from the phone. But sync-ing her music/video/tv shows she has on her PC/Mac ... she needs to go through iTunes from her PC/Mac anyway. Unless she buys songs/video straight from iTunes store on the phone.

Nov 9, 2011 7:05 PM in response to miless

Actually, the phone can be activated without connecting to iTunes. I did this when setting up my new 4S.

Additionally, if the shows/music/tv shows were already puchased using that apple id, then they can be downloaded already as part of iCloud (however this person doesn't have an apple id so this probably isn't the case).

The point is, the phone CAN be setup without a computer and it can be used to download apps etc without connecting to a computer. So if she has videos/music she already downloaded elsewhere/had on CDs on her computer, yes she will need to sync the phone with the computer, but it can wait until she has access to her computer again.

Nov 15, 2011 8:09 AM in response to DVX100Shooter

As far as I can tell, she was able to create her Apple ID and password but when she went to create her Gmail account on the phone, it keeps telling her she is putting in the wrong password for that account but she swears its correct! Also back to the Apple ID, I could have sworn Apple sends out an email to verify the account and she doesn't recall getting that but then again she hasn't been able to get her email because its saying her password is invalid. I don't know what to tell her but its messed up to have an iphone and not be able to download apps, or fully use the phone like its supposed to be used! Hope she can get it up to speed quickly!!

Do you need a computer to set up an iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.