You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Business tax software for mac?

Anyone know of business tax (estates) software for Mac? I'd rather not use Parallels, Windows, etc.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 7:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 8:06 PM

Hi Lawrence -

I've been an eBay Power Seller for several years. When I started out I was using a Dell with Win/XP and I purchased Intuit's Quickbooks Professional 2006. I've since dumped my Dell, gone to two iMac's and a MacBook Air. Unfortunately, I have not found an AFFORDABLE, easy to use, and easy to migrate to product that runs natively on the Mac. I am using VMware's Fusion V4 and Win/XP under it. The QB Pro still plugs along doing a great job of keeping my bookkeeping straight. I've got a couple ham radio related programs that do not have Mac counterparts, so I can't say that Fusion is used strictly for QB.

While I can't give you a suggestion for business software for the Mac, my suggestion is that you shouldn't 100% rule out a Win-based product. Performance-wise, my Win apps are very fast running under Fusion.

Jim

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 9, 2011 8:06 PM in response to Lawrence Acker

Hi Lawrence -

I've been an eBay Power Seller for several years. When I started out I was using a Dell with Win/XP and I purchased Intuit's Quickbooks Professional 2006. I've since dumped my Dell, gone to two iMac's and a MacBook Air. Unfortunately, I have not found an AFFORDABLE, easy to use, and easy to migrate to product that runs natively on the Mac. I am using VMware's Fusion V4 and Win/XP under it. The QB Pro still plugs along doing a great job of keeping my bookkeeping straight. I've got a couple ham radio related programs that do not have Mac counterparts, so I can't say that Fusion is used strictly for QB.

While I can't give you a suggestion for business software for the Mac, my suggestion is that you shouldn't 100% rule out a Win-based product. Performance-wise, my Win apps are very fast running under Fusion.

Jim

Nov 10, 2011 10:46 AM in response to steve359

I have used the Turbotax Mac version of personal tax software and it works about as well as Turbotax ever does (far better than I could do without it; but with curious anomalies here and there--much like the tax code itself). The one tax program that deals with fiduciary tax materials requiring the filing of a Form 1041 from TurboTax is the Business version and it is for Windows only. As it happens H&R Block has its own version for Form 1041, but it too is for Windows only.

Your understanding that VM is "bubbled" though so a virus or other problem cannot escape is very helpful as it would limit my fear of contagion. I'll try to explore that further and report back if I get confirmation of your understanding.

Thanks.

Nov 10, 2011 2:41 PM in response to Lawrence Acker

Even if it did somwhow escape, the fundamental OS principles differences between Windows and Mac are so great you would need to catch one of the very few mac-oriented bugs, and they would have to know your Windws was running inside a Mac to decide that a Windows-into-Mac path is the way to go.

Too many people responding to sweepstakes offerings and UPS package notification e-mails in Windows world to worry *that much* about mac-heads.

Business tax software for mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.