Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems after HD failure

Background:

My sister lost the hard drive in her Powerbook G4 after dropping it on the floor and didn't have any kind of backup. We put in a new hard drive, reinstalled OS X 10.3.4 and thought everything was okay and gave it back to her. My sister then said that she was having problems on-line w/ eBay, Facebook AOL, etc. So, we upgraded her to 10.3.9, Safari 1.3.2 and a Java update that was recommended to fix some issues with Safari crashing. She still had the same issues where the main item picture in eBay doesn't load, Facebook page doesn't fully load, etc. So, we installed Firefox 2.0.0.20 which was recommended by some users. This has resolved most of the issues except she still is having problems with Word With Friends not loading the game board.

My question is she was running all of these on-line applications under Safari just fine before the hard drive failure, so what have we missed on the reinstall? Since she didn't have a backup, we're not sure what versions of the operating system and software she was running before the crash and have just been trying to piece things back together with information found on-line. HELP!!!

Powerbook G4

1.33 GHz

384MB RAM

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 3:21 AM

3 replies

Nov 11, 2011 6:22 AM in response to smittysgirl

Boot up the PowerBook using your Install/Restore disc, open Disk Utility & do the things in this link.

http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/firstaid.htm

This still may not solve your problem as OS 10.3 Panther is essentially obsolete & the available browsers for Panther do not have all the capabilities necessary for viewing many of today's web pages (that are designed for newer versions of Mac OS).

You probably need to upgrade the OS to Tiger 10.4.x or possibly to Leopard 10.5.x.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Problems after HD failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.