Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade my iPads iOS without losing my Toddlers purchased games?

Hi Mac Family!

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro and now want to upgrade my iPad iOS to atleast 4.3.?. Unfortunately as I was reading the upgrading directions, iTunes said it wouldn't backup my purchased Games, Apps, Videos or pictures.

That's dumb, why has Apple made their upgrades so convoluted?

So now I'm scared about losing all my pictures, videos, and purchased games and apps....Some apps alone were almost $50 bucks. Plus my sons games and story books about $30 bucks. I've also added crucial research information to my photos, videos and notebook.

Is the iOS upgrade even worth it, or should I just leave well enough alone? Ive worked with Macs about 15-18 years and I cant believe how vague their technical writting has become.

Dont get me wrong, I love Mac....But they just seem to take you in complete circles with their great marketing glossy photos. Not realizing how much of our time is wasted....

Thanks for allowing me to vent, Ive just been trouble shooting this question/problem about 4 hours and Im need of sleep..Thanks Again.😟😕😁😢

iPad, iOS 4.2

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 6:04 AM

2 replies

Nov 10, 2011 6:21 AM in response to LVillalobos

My guess is that you don't sync with iTunes on a regular basis and that is why you are getting that message.

If you were syncing, you would have transferred the purchases that you have been making into your iTunes library on the Mac. So - if you have not been syncing - these steps may help with your dilemma.

Launch iTunes on the Mac. From the menu at the top got to iTunes>Preferences>Devices. Click on the box at the bottom that says Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from automatically syncing. Quit iTunes.

Connect your iPad to the Mac and launch iTunes. Right click on the iPad name on the left side under the devices heading and select Transfer purchases. This will put all purchased content in the iTunes library on your Mac. You should be able to sync as well without losing any content.

However, go into each tab in the iTunes window in the right and check each tab, Music, Photos, Apps etc - and make sure that all of the content that you want to sync to the device has been selected. If it all looks good. - go ahead and sync.

If this all works out for you, you can turn on auto syncing again if you choose to go that route.

If this process is successful and it solves your "lose content" issue, if you choose to update the iOS, iTunes should create a backup of the device before it updates the software.

Message was edited by: Demo

Can I upgrade my iPads iOS without losing my Toddlers purchased games?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.