Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to boost wifi?

I am experiencing intermittent WIFI signals. At times its 2 bars, after a while it goes down to one bar then to none. But at the very beginning, its usually always 2 bars, which is considered healthy. I am not far from my router though my door is closed. Ok, anyway, anyone knows how to boost wifi signals and reception?

iPad 2, iOS 5

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 7:15 AM

It may be more than just distance...if there are things that attenuate radio signals, such as wiring, metal cabinets, in the way you will get signal reductions. Try plaicng the router in a location clear of anything metallic if you can. If there is a lot of house wiring, there is not much you can do except place the router in another room.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2011 7:15 AM in response to lesliepaul

It may be more than just distance...if there are things that attenuate radio signals, such as wiring, metal cabinets, in the way you will get signal reductions. Try plaicng the router in a location clear of anything metallic if you can. If there is a lot of house wiring, there is not much you can do except place the router in another room.

Nov 19, 2011 5:39 PM in response to alexfromsummerside

If at your friends house with the same type of router you get good connection, then there is either something interfering with the signal at your house or there is a problem with the router.

Can your friend come over with a wireless device and see if the same behavior occurs?

Have you tried to power off and on the router? Check to see if the router has the most up-to-date firmware. That often is a problem and needs to be updated.

How to boost wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.