Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iTunes Library file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file.

I keep on getting this error when trying to open iTunes. I just reformatted my drive. OS X Lion Server is my OS

"The iTunes Library file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file."

Please help. I have tried to repair disk permissions as recommended in other inquires.

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 11:09 AM

Hi everyone, found this thread via Google Search. Tried what was suggested, but no luck. Did some more seraching and found this tip, which did the trick. Hope it helps. 🙂

http://www.iphonestuffs4u.com/how-to-fix-itunes-library-file-is-locked-error/

49 replies

Apr 26, 2017 9:06 AM in response to NAS65

I was having same issue..but also couldn't open FIrefox..said another copy running..checked activity monitor...no other copy was running.

When I would GET INFO on any folder or file..the finder would hang spinning wheel.

I found this tool awhile back...and had a feeling this was all permissions issues.

THIS WORKED! This also helps with files that you cannot unlock and/or Trash.

https://lagentesoft.com/batchmod/index.html

I did a repair on my HOME FOLDER and APPLICATIONS Folder.

(Me/GROUP:Admin/Owner) RWX - Left EVERYONE Blank

I think something got written wrong because I was having problems before and did repair permissions from Disk Warrior also on Recovery boot...nothing was getting fixed..and made my problems worse.

BatchMod fixed everything!!!

Oct 8, 2017 8:26 AM in response to NAS65

I had to reinstall OS and then copied iTunes folder from TimeMachine to the new location.

Upon opening iTunes got the message the folder is locked.

I renamed an original (Timemachine) folder, calling it C1 (You can call it anything you wish)

Reopened iTunes without problems because iTunes created a new folder.

Quit iTunes.

Open new iTunes folder (find in the Music folder) and trashed everything from it.

Then copy/paste all items from old iTunes folder into the new one.

Open iTunes.

Now it works

Jan 24, 2012 10:58 AM in response to NAS65

My Library is on an external drive.

I got the following message:

"The iTunes Library file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file."

I tried unlocking the folder and verifing the permissions. I noticed on the GetInfo dialog box that the permissions area and the lock icon were greyed out, but I was still able to click on the lock to authenticate.

that didn't work. I also tried to reapply my permissions to all folders within the Library folder - I used pathfinder to do that. I'm sure there's an easier way in terminal.

The solution was to eject the disc and then reconnect it. I relaunched itunes, and it worked.

Aug 25, 2012 2:41 PM in response to NAS65

Hi all, I was stuck with the same problem for a while den just deleted iTunes folder from music catalog and after was able to open iTunes normaly exept all data was lost.. however just dropped all my music files to iTunes and got all albums right back in to place. Used windows runing on parallels to delete iTunes folder.

Hope you find it helpfull ツ

Sep 2, 2012 5:30 PM in response to NAS65

Try this--it seems to have worked for me: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/245774-itunes-folder-locked.htm l

From the site:

You can actually just fix those permissions.

1. Go to: Macintosh HD > Users
  2. Right-click on your user name (home folder) and select Get Info.
  3. Click the lock at the bottom and enter your password.
  4. Your permissions at the moment for that folder should be Read & Write for you, Read only for staff and everyone.
  5. Click the gear icon at the bottom, and select Apply to enclosed items.

The last step will take a few minutes to complete, but once done, everything in your home folder should now have their proper permissions.

I got the "locked library" message and spinning beachball twice, and had to force quit both iTunes and do a forced restart. Now everything seems to be running well.

The iTunes Library file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.