Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New cropping issue in Aperture!

I never had the "famous" 1/3-cropping-issue on my macbook pro. But since the fix for that came out, I do have a problem with cropping. Someone else described it perfectly well (at the end of another discussion, so I'm gonna post it here again):

3.2.1 has fixed that issue and introduced new crop problems for me (early 2008 MBP, 10.6.8). I never crop at anything except unconstrained (no) ratios, yet it now pops to assorted set ratios randomly. Also, the crop tool will sometimes not let me pull one side (it's as if it is set for a ratio though it will not be), as if it is locked, until I touch the opposite side and THEN it moves properly : (

It also sometimes is befuddled when asked to negotiate a straightened image. It thinks it's hitting a border of the image when it is not. I'm not talking about areas that are affected by the straightening. This can be in the middle of the image. Here again it *seems* that if I grab some other side of the tool outline it will shock the misbehaving side into moving.

This is less a problem than the mode changing on me, because I have been able to get around the latter issue by only cropping first, before other adjustments. But still...

So that's what he wrote and it's exactly the same for me. Anyone else with this problem? Anyone who can reproduce it? I.e. try to crop after "turning" the image. I feel like he only lets you crop "inside" the turned image... difficult to explain but very annoying. My workflow is gone 😟

I'd appreciate any ideas / help.

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 10:33 AM

3 replies

Feb 4, 2013 3:25 PM in response to GFlorida

The "Do Not Constrain" being set to a saved aspect ratio is, afaict, a bug of feature over-reach. That is to say, I think it is designed this way in an attempt to be helpful. Imho, it is a very poor choice. Please provide feedback to Apple: "Aperture➞Provide Aperture Feedback". Fwiw, this is near the top of things I'd like to see fixed in an update. I custom crop hundreds of Images each week.

The only time I have handles not work is with straightened Images. Is that what you are seeing? The current work-around is to move the crop box slightly away from any edge it is near. That always (for me) restores full functionality to all the crop box handles.

New cropping issue in Aperture!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.