5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 12:03 AM by Robowhitty
innergalactic Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Can I record audio when screen recording? Are there settings for the quality of recording, etc?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Jon Walker Level 6 Level 6 (17,885 points)

Can I record audio when screen recording?

Depends on which app you are using and what form of audio you want to record. E.g., QT X can record audio via the line in or built-in microphone option but not the system audio. On the other hand, an application like Snapz Pro X can record microphone and/or the Mac system audio.

Are there settings for the quality of recording, etc?

QT X has two quality presets from which to choose. Third-party screen capture apps may have other options. E.g., Snapz Pro X allows the user to select any of audio and/or video compression options for which the system is configured for final output.

/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png

• Jawae1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I had this same problem. I fixed it by:

- run QT

- select new screen recording

- before clicking the red record button, click the small triangle on the right side of that window. It will show options

- the first recording I performed, the audio was set to "none". Change this setting to your internal microphone.

Now record.

• innergalactic Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Actually, I was wanting to record the system audio, not microphone. What I needed to use was use Soundflower to route my system audio to QT.

• garylapointe Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

I think it's cRaZy that it doesn't have "system audio out" as an option for recording these screen captures. 

I figured I needed soundflower or use an old Mac with audio in / out jacks (to run a cable) but I thought I'd Google it and all I find is a bunch of people with the same problem (probably) using soundflower as an option (or some other software).

Very silly.

Gary

• Robowhitty Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This is isane how hard it is to just record system audio!

Some company should make it, it would get a ton of downloads!