Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5.01 made iPhone 4 battery life worse

The battery seems to be draining even faster after installing 5.01 than with 5.0. Is there some sort of hard reset or other voodoo I maybe missed in this process?

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 5:20 PM

46 replies

Nov 11, 2011 5:26 PM in response to bray2709

Yup, my iPhone4 drains at a ridiculously high rate since 5.0, and exactly the same if not worse on 5.0.1 ... I've done a full DFU restore and everything and even without restoring from a backup, completely fresh... with ALL options off.. even basic things that apple turns on.. and it still drains battery like NOTHING, doing the simplest tasks like texting.

My iPhone4 battery was incredible before 5.0 ... Best battery for a phone I've ever had. So mad.. Went from the best to WITHOUT QUESTION the absolute worst battery I have ever seen. It literally drains right infront of my eyes, 1% by 1% by 1%... Within minutes. =/

Nov 14, 2011 7:43 AM in response to cliff

Last week I broke down and reset all my settings and restored from a backup. This seem to help standby time a little, but not a real fix. Last night I restored the phone as a new phone (not from a backup). It was quite a pain but something is definitely different. For 9.5 hours my standby has only drained 3%. This is much better! I'll have to see if the drain is any better during normal use.

I would never say this a cure for all ills (your mileage may vary) but it's an interesting start.

Also, if you plan on a wipe and restore as new, one thing made the process a little easier. I took screen shots of all my home pages before the wipe. That way when I started adding back my apps and folders I could mimic the locations of where they were before. I even opened folders and made screen shots of those so I would remember their content. Very helpful.

Nov 14, 2011 7:53 AM in response to paulafromma

Over the weekend Apple called me up directly to help me fix my battery life problem. (I was quite surprised and pelased that they were very proactive on this!) I had to install a program that monitored my battery life for a 24hr period. Then on Sunday they called me back to get the report and to uninstall the program so that my phone wasn't being monitored anymore. I have to admit that after i did a hard reset (turn off the phone using the top right button AND the home button) i did notice a huge difference in my battery life. I could play games, use apps and even in standby the battery life was good!

I'm sure this isn't the case for everyone but thank you Apple for being proactive in this issue!!!! Customer Service is the #1 tool in this new age and in my eyes this was a huge reason why i went to Apple in the first place. So thank you Apple for doing a great job! Hopefully my battery report that i gave you will help your engineers figure out what was going on.

5.01 made iPhone 4 battery life worse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.