Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud nightmare with Bookmarks in Safari - Is there a happy ending to this non-sense?

Even after the latest iOS released today Nov 9 the nightmare in trying to sync bookmarks across iOS devices and Macs continue! They WILL NOT SYNC no matter how much cleaning, how much rebooting, how much turnin off and on the Bookmarks option from the iCloud setting. I add a bookmark in my iPad it shows up fine in my iPhone but not on my Macs. I do the same process on my iPhone and then the bookmart shows in my iPad and either my MacBook Pro 2010 edition or my iMac but not both and vice versa. I add a bookmark in Safari from my MBP and they won't sync with no other device!!! I try the same thing on my iMac same experience. Went to my local Apple Store and the Genius guy could not help me either! So, I have to MANUALLY a la Microsoft update my bookmarks on each device! Go figure. Will this nightmare ever have an end? Is anyone else having any issues? Is Apple reading notes like this and doing something about it??? At this stage it's beyond an irritation...

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 6:54 PM

5 replies

Nov 11, 2011 4:57 AM in response to EliNOVA

Don't have a solution but I can say that I have EXACTLY the same issues with bookmarks. And in my case, I have a PC running IE thrown into the mix. PC, MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad. Every single device shows a different list of bookmarks, yet, all should be syncing with each other. One day, adding a bookmark in IE will show up on the Mac, but not the iPhone or iPad. Next day, adding to IE will show it on the iPhone but not the Mac or iPad, etc., etc. etc.

Bookmarks are a complete mess in iCloud and no amount of turning on/off the iCloud Bookmark options on the different devices or deleting and recreating accounts, etc. fixes it. I've completely given up on Apple's ability to sync bookmarks via iCloud.

Nov 11, 2011 12:50 PM in response to rickyfc

Wow... glad I'm not alone. I also have issues with Notes. I create or update a Note in my iPhone 4 and then my Notes in my iPad 2 dissappear completely and before I can even blink they are gone from my MBP and iMAC prompting me to restore up to the latest I had from my TimeMachine! I do this almost daily! The experience with iCloud: Bookmarks and Notes have left me a VERY ANGRY and SOUR taste against Apple for delivering a half baked product! I don't see no sign of relief anytime soon and so far I'm not reading any issues or complains about it in the HighTech media so I wonder if this is affecting a small number of users that does not deserve attention and a fixing. At this point I'm ready to ditch iCloud and go back to MobileMe! At least with MobileMe in its current iteration WORKS. It's pathethic and frustrating.

Nov 20, 2011 10:48 AM in response to javier1968

Here is my latest nightmare with iCloud even after weeks of been unveiled to the faithful! This has been an insanely frustrated experience to say the least and no sign of relief in the horizon....

I wiped out my bookmarks in ALL my devices (iPhone 4, iPad 2, MBP, and iMac). Of course, I made backups of my bookmars prior of wiping it out and proceeded to wait 4 days to make sure iCloud had enough time to clear itself up alright. After seeing that I didn't get no more entries synched to any of my devices I proceeded to restore my bookmarks first to my iMac. Then I waited and yes, a few minutes later it synch correctly into my MBP however, when it came to my iOS devices it came over alright except it came over with dupplicates AGAIN!!!! So, at this point I just went and clean up all those entries from my iPhone and iPad. Luckily they stayed like that and no further dupplicates were created.

Now, because I don't feel iCloud is working correctly, at least for me, with my Safari Bookmarks and Notes, I have left those two apps untoched. But this week I added a new bookmark into a folder from my iPhone 4... well, guess what? The new bookmark after 3 days NEVER showed up in my other devices! Once again, I proceeded to remove that entry from my iPhone 4 and added it from my iPad 2... SAME results. Ok... the frustration continues... I removed the bookmark from my iPad and added it from my iMac and guess what happen next? The new bookmark showed up in my MBP!!!! It didn't show up in the same location as I placed it from my iMac. It showed up at the root top level of my bookmarks... so, a la Microsoft, I proceeded to move it to its appropriate folder as I have it in my iMac. So far, so good. Then I proceeded to check my iPad and iPhone and the new bookmark is NOWHERE to be found!!! Isn't this wonderful how iCloud works!??? I love the fact that it frustrates me and create unncessary work and waste of time and lack of efficiency and effectiveness!

Yesterday I added a new note from my iPhone and guess what happened... the new note never showed up in ANY of my other devices!!!! So, once again, I proceeded to remove that new note and add it from my iPad. A few minutes later... I had multiple duplicates of Notes in my iPad and the new note was nowhere to be found in any of my other devices inspite of the fact I have full iCloud features enabled! So, I then proceeded to clean up the extra duplicate entries from my iPad... and what happened next was just so kewl... ALL, I mean ALL my notes I had in my other devices were WIPED OUT!!!! But now things looks clean and tidy from my iPad!!! Go figure! I waited to see if they will sync to my other devices and NOTHING!

At this point I was so fuming you could fry an egg on my forehead of the frustration! So, I proceeded to wipe--out my notes from my iPad and waited to make sure no more duplcates were going to show-up. I then went to my iMac and from there launched TimeMachine and restore my notes and then created the new note and wala... now it shows OK in ALL my devices! So, the morale of the story for me is... don't enter Bookmarks from my iOS devices. Do it from my Mac machines... at least they'll be (after manually moving the entry from the other machine) in sync and do not add any new notes from any iOS device but to it from my iMac or MBP so that it syncs OK...

Isn't this a wonderful story of how great and amazing iCloud works? Wow... I'm even impress with myself... but I've been close in more than once occassion of using a baseball bat and my devices as a Piñata from the frustration 🙂

iCloud nightmare with Bookmarks in Safari - Is there a happy ending to this non-sense?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.