Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get access to files backed up with time machine on another computer?

Hi. I recently migrated to a new macbook air. got most of the data across, but not my iphoto library, which exists now only on an external harddrive onto which i backed it up using time machine.

I had to delete the iphoto library from my old computer before migration.

The harddrive doesnt work on my old computer anymore (says the disk is damaged. Im currently trying to repair it, but no luck so far, disk utility says it cannot repair it.)

I can get the harddrive to work on my new computer.However, the folder i want to access is inside a time machine backup folder (made on my old machine) and it is locked. I tried to unlock it using command+ i but that did not work.

How can i access such a locked folder?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 2011 macbook air

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 9:43 PM

5 replies

Nov 10, 2011 10:10 PM in response to maedi

Are you accessing a Time Machine backup with Finder. Oooweee, don't do that. One of the surest ways to completely corrupt your TM backup, so nothing will make use of it.

You would ordinarily use Migration Assistant at this point, to move those files.

I'm not sure, but i don't think you can use TM to copy those files, as they may be password protected by the user account on the machine that they were once part of, and TM doesn't deal in that. On this last paragraph here, I am speculating. A seasoned TM user will have to accurately comment.

Nov 10, 2011 10:22 PM in response to SP Forsythe

Yes, i am hoping for a seasoned time machine person to help.

you are right, finder is not a good way to do anything w time machine backup files. I would prefer to look at those folders with time machine. however, i cannot figure out how (if!) it is possible to access backups of my old computer on my new computer.

BTW, the efforts to repair the backup disk (harddrive) that holds the files did not work. i suspect they are there, the pictures folder that holds them is there, but it is grrrr locked.

hm migration assistant. I havent used that ever.

Nov 11, 2011 8:10 PM in response to maedi

You can transfer all 3rd-party apps, and/or user accounts via either Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant. See How do I set up a new Mac from an old one, its backups, or a PC?

You can restore individual items via the "Star Wars" display, but since Time Machine normally only shows the backups for the Mac it's running on, you'll need the Browse ... option, per #17 in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions.

Nov 11, 2011 9:18 PM in response to Pondini

thanks for that link to time machines faqs.

the bad news: i cannot use time machine to access the files. unfortunately, the external harddrive i used for the time machine backup is DAMAGED (running disk utility numerous times did not fix it. i'll be trying disk warrior next)

the good news: i can see the backed up folders in finder (backups.backupbd), and i assume my iphoto library is in there, in the pictures folder inside one of the dated backup folders.

I realize it is not good to get time-machine created files back by going through finder, but that seems like that is my only option.

the problem now is the folder is locked with a big red no go sign, and command-i cannot change it (not even when i do it on the computer on which the file was created).

so: any advice on unlocking the folders? and if i succeed, am i going to see my iphoto library file in that folder?

Nov 11, 2011 9:40 PM in response to maedi

maedi wrote:

. . .

I realize it is not good to get time-machine created files back by going through finder, but that seems like that is my only option.

Were you trying to access it via either Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant? If those don't work, you still may be able to use the "Star Wars" display to see and restore some data. It all depends on just what and where the damage is.

If you can get into the display, you may be able to restore the iPhoto Library; start with the most recent backup, and work back in time.

the problem now is the folder is locked with a big red no go sign, and command-i cannot change it (not even when i do it on the computer on which the file was created).

Correct; Time Machine protects it's backups with very restrictive ACLs, basically "nobody can do anything," so us mere mortals won't damage them.

If you use the same user account on the same Mac that did the backup, via the Finder, you should have read rights, and you may be able to copy from the backups.

if i succeed, am i going to see my iphoto library file in that folder?

Yes. Each of those date-stamped backup folders should contain a set of "hard links" to the backup copies of everything that was on your system at the time of that backup, no matter when each item was actually backed-up. If you can copy the most recent one successfully, that will get everything.

The iPhoto Library looks like a file; but it's actually a special kind of folder called a "package." If you can't copy it, right-click it and select Show Package Contents to see inside it, but don't copy individual items except as a last resort -- at best, you'll recover raw photos, with no organization or data, and probably no editing, either.

How do I get access to files backed up with time machine on another computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.