Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sync Outlook 2010 Contact Groups to my iPad and iPhone

I am trying to figure out how to sync my Outlook 2010 contact groups to my iPad and iPhone. Also how do you manage the groups once on the device? Seems they can only be selected and not edited. I can get my Good contact group and my Windows Contacts contact group to sync but not my Outlook 2010 groups. Any ideas?

iPad, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 9:51 PM

11 replies

Jan 13, 2012 9:14 AM in response to MS Windows

Yes I was able to figure this out. If you have iCloud services enabled, there is am iCloud connector for Outlook 2010 that works great. I was unable to get the iTunes connector for Outlook 2010 to work, in fact I disabled the iTunes Outlook connector altogether.

Once setup I go to www.icloud.com to manage my contacts and set up group lists, which are then populated in Outlook, on my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro. Works really well once you stop trying to sync through iTunes.

Jan 16, 2012 5:28 AM in response to timothyfromwoodbury

OK I agree with you on disabling the i-tunes sync and successfully synced my contacts from Outlook to i-cloud and hence on to my i-pad contacts app. Grouping doesn't quite work like distribution lists, I now have a 'plus' sign that allows me to see groups select one and then to select from withn that group. It is a step backwards in that I cannot set default e-mail addresses for contacts or use a "Select All" option. Also you can only set up groups in i-cloud, they are read only on the i-pad

I now appear to have created two problems, Outlook has lost all of my contacts and I cannot get outlook calendar to sync with Google calendar. I tried this morning to download vcf cards but the select all option in i-cloud export files doesn't seem to work as you would imagine it to.

I'll spend a coiple of hours this afternoon trying to resolve these new problems, but if you encountered similar drop me a note.

Dave

Jan 16, 2012 7:46 AM in response to MS Windows

Onward & upward

When the contact address cards were synced to iCloud it copied all entries but didn't change the view in Outlook so that it appeared that all address cards had vanished.

The address cards are still there but you need to go to Outlook contacts screen, click on the left hand navigation bar and you should see a directory tree that by default is looking at a blank contents folder, all of the i-cloud folders and group folder options are subfolders, click on i-cloud and you are using Outlook to view the i-cloud contents. You can manage the address cards from Outlook and refresh i-cloud accordingly

Sort out the Google calandar sync issue now.

Dave

Jan 18, 2012 8:41 PM in response to MS Windows

You are correct Groups get a little goofy. I setup all my groups in iCloud, and those do populate groups in Outlook and my mobile devices. However, you cannot use them to send email in Outlook, you need to setup a Contacts Group in the Local Outlook contacts list. I have not found a better way to do this. When I first did the migration it did setup my iCloud groups, but it is simply a list of contacts on my mobile devices and not good for much else that I can figure out.

As far as your issue with Google calendar not sure what to tell you. My Outlook, iPhone, iPad and Macbook Pro iCal calendars all sync fine including syncs to external iCal feeds. I find it best to set up the feeds on my Macbook Pro and then that feeds everything else through iCloud. Outlook, iPad and iPhone can only receive but not transmit calendar sync feeds to iCloud.

Hope this is helpful.

Jan 24, 2012 2:14 AM in response to timothyfromwoodbury

Timothy,

Finally got my head around syncing all calendars across different platforms. Once iCloud is set up and outlook is displaying the correct calandars it is possible to enter an event in Outlook calendar, the event then syncs via I tunes to the I pad. The I pad is set to show both pc and I cloud calendar events, enter an event on I pad and after a short delay the I cloud calandar is updated and this flows out to other supported devices.

Distribution lists for e mail. Load the windows control panel into your MS browser and from the control panel you can create groups that can be used In a similar but not so helpful a way as distribution lists

It would be easier if Apple could get there head around providing a good standard e-mail program with associated contact list that can be organised into distribution lists , groups, categories, likes and so on.

Jan 26, 2012 11:58 AM in response to timothyfromwoodbury

It's a workaround and only manual. I copied my icloud contacts back into my "contacts" folder in Outlook 2010 My Contacts, and it repopulated the groups in there. I can access them for email, etc. BUT they have to be edited manually, will not sync with icloud contacts.

It is clunky, but functional, if you remember to manually add in Outlook if you modify in icloud.

I find it interesting that the customer is left with such an obvious and significant shortcoming because neither Apple or Microsoft chooses to address this issue. An obvious CUSTOMER service descrepancy.

Jan 13, 2013 8:36 PM in response to RugerDogg

Mac solution. No idea if works on PC:

Work Around:

On your mac:

1. Open a new email

2. Insert name of an existing group into one of the "To" fields as usual.

3. Highlight all the resulting names in the "To" entry

[Highlight first name, and while holding shift, highlight last name and all will highlight[]

4. Copy (Command C) the highlighted emails

5. Paste (Command V) nto a pages document

6. Remove the name and anything else preceeding the first < and also the first < of only the first entry whixh will look like this:

joe@gmail.com>,

7. Remove the > of the last email which will look like this:

, Jane Doe <jane@gmail.com

8. Copy the entire altered list from the pages document

9, Go to Contact Book and click + to add a new entry

10.. Name the entry (XXX Group for iPad) or whatever you wish to call it

11. Paste all the copied altered list into any one of the email entry spaces

12. Click on "Done"

13. Create new email On iPad and click on + in any one of the "To" lines and search for "XXX Group for iPad" You cannot just key in XXX Group for iPad!!!!!!!, you must use + contact search.

14. Enter the selected iPad contact group into the "To" line.

15. All the entries will now appear in the "To" line and you are good to go.

Adding or deleting email addresses from the iPad group:

Easiest: Alter the original mac group in the usual way and repeat steps 1-14 above. It seems impossible to edit within the emai line of the iPad contact entry.

Rediculously simple once figured out.

Happy emailling, but please send Bcc so that you don't spread your groups' email addresses all over the internet for spam, viruses, and other unwanted emails. Be considerate and ask your recipients to notifiy you if they wish to be deleted from the lists you compose.

May 13, 2013 1:20 AM in response to Robert_

@Robert_J

Thanks for the steps.

You may be interested to know that there is an easy way to edit the group once you have copied it to your device, if you have the MailShot Pro app. (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mailshot-pro-group-email-done/id445996226?ls=1&mt =8)

Enter "MailShot Group" into the organisation field of the contact you created, then simply create a new group in MailShot (with a different name) and add this contact to it using the blue +. You can now easily update or edit the group as though you created it in MailShot.

I hope this helps

Peter

Soluble.

Disclosure I am the developer of MailShot and may benefit from its sale.

How to sync Outlook 2010 Contact Groups to my iPad and iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.