Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new iPhone 4S cannot connect to GSM network in Slovakia

I have a brand new iPhone 4S bought in Apple Store in Czech republic. Phone is always searching for GSM signal. After full phone restart it finds a signal for about 5 minutes, and then drops it. I live in Slovakia and use TMobile GSM network. I also have an iPhone 4 and with the same SIM card I have never had a similar problem. Someone told me to try turn off 3G, but from iOS 5 it not possible. So now I have my most expensive iPod yet. I'm very dissapointed.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 11:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 3:35 AM

I have the same problem as "Duddo from Slovakia EU" with the difference that I bought a phone operator Orange. Their technical support to the team about what to do.

10 replies

Nov 13, 2011 11:58 AM in response to DuDDo from Slovakia EU

Originally posted by Jirka Mraz:

According to the Czech T-Mobile, this issue affected more than 20 carriers worldwide. They are working with Apple on the solution.

It seems the reason is wrong SIM card. They identify group of SIM cards with such issue.

The recommendation is to contact carrier and change SIM card, but be carrefull it must NOT be from the same series.

Hopefully they will have an update to this case tommorow morning, when Cupertino guys wake up.

Dec 13, 2011 5:29 AM in response to DuDDo from Slovakia EU

FIX

Hello, I was plagued by the same issues.

The problem is caused by some microsims not being handled correctly by Apple (or the SIM-s are not fully compatible with the specs).

The simplest solution is to go to your carrier and ask for a normal SIM. Then have it cut to the microsim format. In many shops they may do it themselves for you.

This has solved my 3 weeks nightmare with 4 out of 5 calls not reaching me. (Cosmote RO, iPhone 4S) and 2 out of 3 outgoing calls requering a redial.

www.objectreactor.com

My new iPhone 4S cannot connect to GSM network in Slovakia

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.