Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Versions and viewing options

Can someone please tell me what the versions available are.

I see a download for QT 7 on the Apple site.

Mine is a 2011 MacBookPro and all it says is version 10? Where does it say what it is, I've heard of X but no idea what version 10 is?

It's never upgraded it so what is current?

Is there no way on there to be able to change the contrast or brightness because it really needs tweeking?

Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 4:22 AM

5 replies

Nov 11, 2011 5:40 AM in response to the tall

Snow Leopard (10.6.x) offers two versions (QuickTime X version 10.0 and QuickTime Player version 7.6.6).

Lion (10.7.x) also offers two verions (QuickTime Player version 10.1 and QuickTime Player version 7.6.6).

A/V Controls window is only available in 7.6.6.

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl923 Even though the link says 10.6.3 the QuickTime download link is 7.6.6.

Nov 11, 2011 6:00 AM in response to the tall

Can someone please tell me what the versions available are... I see a download for QT 7 on the Apple site.

QT v7.7 is the latest player/structure update for Leopard and Windows operating systems. QT v7.6.6 and QT v10.0 are the latest player updates for the dual QT v7.6.6/QT v10.0 structure compatible with Snow Leopard. QT 7.6.6 and QT 10.1 are the latest player updates for the dual QT v7.7.1/QT v10.1 structure which is compatible with the Lion operating system.

Mine is a 2011 MacBookPro and all it says is version 10? Where does it say what it is, I've heard of X but no idea what version 10 is?

QT X and QT 10 are the same thing. (i.e., X is the Roman numeral representing 10 just OS X is also sometimes referred to as OS 10.)

It's never upgraded it so what is current?

Yes, along as you do not add the QT 7 Player app from the Snow Leopard OS disc.

Is there no way on there to be able to change the contrast or brightness because it really needs tweeking?

For the QT X Player app, adjust the display screen controls. For the QT 7 app (if you choose to install it), use the A/V control panel to adjust brightness, color, contrast, and/or tint.

User uploaded file

Nov 12, 2011 5:12 AM in response to the tall

QuickTime Player 7.6.6 is an "optional" install in Snow Leopard (from the DVD) and it installs in the Utilities folder.

Only 7.6.6 can be upgraded to "Pro". It offers more codec support than version 10 or 10.1 and has the A/V Controls window (missing in 10 and 10.1).

Versions 10 and 10.1 have "screen recording" options that are not found in QuickTime Player 7.6.6. Versions 10 and 10.1 do not support many older formats and codecs that play easily with 7.6.6.

Versions and viewing options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.