Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any arguments against selling software?

Any argument against selling software in general, and in the App Store in particular? I've been writing software for my own use and some of it seems like it would be useful to others. I would imagine that one should establish a sole proprietorship or an S-class corporation. Anything else to consider?

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 8:36 AM

10 replies

Nov 11, 2011 9:08 AM in response to WoodPlane

OS X Development recently received news that beginning in March 20012, all apps will be required to use sandboxing - it would appear that the days of casually distributing software are going away.

See this link for details on joining the Individual Developer Program: iOS Developer Program - note you can also sign up as a company as well thru that program, in which case I believe a LLC approach is most common/recommended.

Good luck in any case.

Nov 11, 2011 11:24 AM in response to K T

K T wrote:

OS X Development recently received news that beginning in March 20012, all apps will be required to use sandboxing - it would appear that the days of casually distributing software are going away.

Apple will require all Mac App Store applications to be sandboxed. I know of no plans to restrict any casual distribution of software. That is possible even on iOS. One day developers could be required to pay just to digitally sign an application, and they may howl about that, but that is just speculation on my part, would be years away, and is, ultimately, nothing new in the industry anyway.

If you want to distribute your software so that it might be useful to others, consider releasing it as a library. You could attempt to sell the library or distribute it as open source. Only applications can be sold in the App Store anyway. If you want to sell the library, you have to do it on your own. If you want to release it as open source, make sure to use a license that will allow people to sell their applications built with your library in the App Store.

Nov 13, 2011 10:23 PM in response to WoodPlane

No. But I'm sure Googling will find one.

My take on this is to sell my app as an LLC so my personal possessions are protected and also to engage the services of an attorney to draw up any legal documents such as the EULA.

At any rate, the advantages of creating, offering and hopefully selling a useful and fun app overrides any potential lawsuits, which you seem to be worried about.

Life is short. Take the necessary precautions and then go full speed ahead.

Any arguments against selling software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.