Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Administrator Home Directory "reset"

Hello all,

I have a strange situation.

I logged into my Lion server using my Administrator account and it appeared as if everything had been reset: the Dock was the default doc, the downloads folder had the Stacks document in it, and my Documents folder was empty.

When I first set up my Administrator account (and all other accounts for that matter), I set it up on the secondary hard drive on the machine (Macintosh HD2).

There is still the administrator folder on Macintosh HD2 with everything intact.

My question is: how do I relink the Administrator account to the proper home directory on Macintosh HD2?

Another question is: how could they get unlinked in the first place?

Many thanks in advance!

Peter

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.1), Mac Mini Server Edition

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 10:29 AM

2 replies

Nov 11, 2011 11:04 AM in response to PeterD

Follow-up:

I was able to open Server.app in the new Administrator account to see if I could reselect the home folder there. It already indicated that "Macintosh HD2" was the location. So I left it alone.

Then I Got Info on the actual, proper, home directory and noticed that the path was something like /Volumes/Macintosh HD2 1

I opened Disk Utility and saw that the mount point for the secondary drive was Macintosh HD2 1, not just Macintosh HD2.

So I shut down the machine in the hope that rebooting it would force the secondary drive to mount to Macintosh HD2 and the home directory thing would resolve itself.

It didn't. And now, not only has the mount point for the secondary drive remained Macintosh HD2 1 but the Home Directory for Administrator is set to Custom. Furthermore, the pop-up menu doesn't even give the option for Macintosh HD2... I just get Local and Custom.

Peter

Nov 14, 2011 5:54 AM in response to PeterD

Hi all,

I solved my own problem thanks to this KB article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2474

In summary:

Duplicate mount point in /Volumes after unexpected restart

1. Shut down and restart the server.
  2. Start in single-user mode.
  3. Type this command, followed by Return: mount -uw /
  4. Type this command, followed by Return: cd /Volumes
  5. Type this command, followed by Return, to move the contents of the false mount point:
    mv "Macintosh HD2" /

6. Type reboot followed by Return.

Peter

Message was edited by: PeterD (added summary of steps to correct issue)

Administrator Home Directory "reset"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.