Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express not recognized by airport utility

I have been printing using the airport express for a couple of months. Suddenly the printer would not respond. I went to the airport utility and had it scan for a wireless device and it could not locate my airport express. It is plugged in and the light is steady green as always. The utlity did not suggest a firmware update.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 1:48 PM

47 replies

Nov 11, 2011 1:55 PM in response to Jan Andrews

Often, a complete power cycle will solve a problem like this.

Power everything down on the network.....all devices....order is not important.

Wait a few minutes.

Start the modem first and let it run 1-2 minutes alone.

Start the next device connected to the modem the same way

Keep starting devices one at a time the same way until everything is powered back up.

Check the network for proper operation.

Nov 25, 2011 10:47 PM in response to Jan Andrews

I wish I had a solution but it's wierd, I have two Airport Express units (version ones) in two different rooms and they have worked great for ages. Sending music from iTunes either stright from the PC, or using Apple Remote from my iPod Touch or music straight from the iPod Touch. This worked exactly as it was supposed to, even sending two both stereos at the same time (through Airplay and Apple Express).

Yet, this week, both units stopped working inexplicably at the same time. I've tried everything, resets, reboots, reconfiguring, repairing Bonjour, nothing has worked. On both the expres units, the lights are green and (at times) I can see them in iTunes or on the iPod, yet the music will not stream.

Incidentally, I have 2 Apple TV units and there are no problems.

Signed, 'Dumbfunded'

Dec 3, 2011 12:57 PM in response to Bob Timmons

OK, I got it. Believe it or not, it was a power cycle that did it for me, but not on the Airport Express but on the modem/router. I'd already power cycled the Airport Expresses and my PC so I decided to follow Bob Timmons' suggestion and as soon as I power cycled the Modem/Router, everything jumped back to life and a week later, still all good.

I don't understand why but I'll take it.

Dec 3, 2011 1:14 PM in response to Jan Andrews

I have a similar issue. Both of our Airport Express devices stopped working completely, mysteriously, after working fine for years.

I switched them with each other, did the power-cycle that Bob Timmons suggested several times over a few days, and still airport utility cannot see the Airport Express devices. Also the device only has an amber light, despite several resets with a paper clip, powering down, etc.

I went and bought a new Airpoert Express today, but I am getting the feeling that if I update the Airport Extreme firmware from 7.5.2 to 7.6, it's all not going to work anyway, so I hesitate to replace these Airport Extremes, which are less than a year old. I have wasted so much time on this.

Dec 27, 2011 7:51 PM in response to Jan Andrews

Gosh, I'm having a similar problem with a slight twist. I've owned my Airport Express for 2 years now and never a problem until this morning. Now, the airport express is powered on, green light and all, connected to cable modem, but my Early 2008 Macbook Pro and iPhone 4 will not connect to it. Funny though, because it shows up in my list of networks on both devices. When I try to select it from the list (of course it used to connect automatically, now it doesn't connect at all), neither the MBP nor the iPhone can establish a connection with it. Sometimes the iPhone asks for a password, even though the password hasn't changed and it is stored in the device. It should also be noted that both the iPhone 4 and MBP can still see and connect to my neighbors' wireless routers within range.

Now for the really weird part: the Airport Express still connects to and performs at 100% with other devices, including 1) my Dell running Windows Vista, 2) my XBox 360, 3) HTC Thunderbolt phone, and 4) a Sony Blu Ray player with wireless internet capabilities. I have power cycled all of the equipment at least 5 times, and all of the non-Apple devices continue to connect to the Airport Express just fine, while the iPhone 4 and MBP cannot connect.

What is going on here?

Mar 26, 2012 2:08 PM in response to Jan Andrews

I've had an Airport Express connected to my AV in another room for several years. It stopped working a couple of months ago. I connected it via ethernet to my MacPro, reset it, light turns green, but I cannot address it with the Apple utility.

So, as soon as I reconnect it to my AV system, it flashes amber and I can't see it or address it.

I have a 12mb AT&T U-verse wireless residential gateway device that is wired to 4 digital tv's and my MacPro.

Wireless connections are 3ea. iPhones 4S, 2ea.Kindles, one Kindle Fire, 2ea.dos laptops and my iPad2 and a HP wireless printer.

All of these work flawlessly.

The Apple Express seems to be a little warm to the touch. Maybe it has bit the dust?

Its probably around 4 years old.

Time for another device?

Has Lion killed this device?

Mar 26, 2012 2:24 PM in response to Donald Palmer

The Apple Express seems to be a little warm to the touch. Maybe it has bit the dust?

The AirPort Express runs warm to hot since the case acts to dissipate internal heat from the device. But 4-5 years is getting old for an Express.

Has Lion killed this device?

If you are using AirPort Utility 6.0 (the new fancy looking application), Apple left off support for older wireless "b/g" devices....in addition to a number of other things.

Check the label on the side of the Express for the Model Number. If you see A1088 or A1084, that is an older "b/g" device....won't work with the new AirPort Utility 6.0.

However, it will work with the more functional AirPort Utility 5.6 for Mac OS X Lion, which you can download and install to administer the older AirPort....if that is what you have. It will also work great with newer devices as well.

You can keep both 5.6 and 6.0 on your Mac and use the one that you want. 5.6 was made available on the same day as 6.0, but a number of users apparently missed that info.

Mar 31, 2012 2:06 PM in response to Jan Andrews

I've been having this problem and I was able to troubleshoot it to my VPN client. When I login to work via a CISCO Any Connect application, my connection to my Airport Express dies, and doesn't come back even after quitting the application -- I need to restart my computer. I've been able to reproduce the problem consistently so I'm pretty sure this is what's doing it for me.

Airport express not recognized by airport utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.