Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Carrier Charging Texting for iMessages

I am on AT&T and dialed *3282# to have them send a text message back with my network usage statistics. I am not much of a texter but since my wife are now on iOS5 devices, I decided to work at communicating more via iMessage, since she likes texting. It seems like to me that AT&T is charging my texting plan even though I am using iMessage between 2 iPhones.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks for your time.

Paul

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Snow Leopard Server

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 3:08 PM

57 replies

Nov 13, 2011 12:26 PM in response to Paul Galati

My bill cycle starts on the 12th and I already have 28 texts but I cannot account for 3/4 of them. Does AT&T have the ability to create a detailed report of every single text and it's source and destination number for a given period of time, probably not. They won't want to find a bug in the system and actually have to admit there is a problem.

If I use iMessage, it should not make a difference what carrier the iphone is on, right? I am on AT&T and my wife is on Verizon, both iOS 5 iPhones, blue text. Yet I send a couple of iMessages, then request a status and sure enough, the text ticker has increased accordingly.

Nov 13, 2011 12:33 PM in response to Paul Galati

All iMessages go over WiFi or the 3G data network...that is if they are actually being sent as iMessages. AFAIK, no carrier has the ability in place to distinguish between what type of data is using their 3G data network...data is data to their system. Thus, I don't see how any carrier could charge for iMessages, even if they wanted to.

Dec 11, 2011 7:45 AM in response to Paul Galati

Wjosten,

You're obviously just trying to get your post count up and you're completely wrong.

I have att and i sent all imessages (with blue button) and att still charged me for texts. I called up and had to speak to a supervisor who credited the text charges. She admitted they knew it was a problem at this point. I had her block sms messaging completely on my account so i hopefully wont get charged again when using imessage.

I think this is just another bug in ios5 like the battery drain issue.

Dec 11, 2011 2:50 PM in response to BathroomSolutions

No. wjosten is correct. iMessages go out as data, the same as e-mails, twitter messages, etc. The carrier couldn't detect what they were to bill for them if they wanted to. Unless the message is failing to deliver and reverting to an SMS (which will happen if there is a problem server side or if the recipient is off the data network for some reason) they can't tell that you're sending them in the first place.

I think the most likely explanation is that they actually ended up going as SMS messages instead of iMessages. I believe you should be notified if this happens, but you may have exited out of the messages app before you noticed.

Dec 28, 2011 9:34 AM in response to cobratiger

A successfully sent iMessage is not even detectable by the carrier as a message. It's just one more blob of data, like web traffic, e-mail or anything else.

IF something went wrong during sending an iMessage, it would revert to SMS, which would explain the charges. I can see the possibility that there may be a bug in the system, most likely on the back end servers at Apple, that would cause it not to notify the phone of the send failure for some reason, causing it to appear to have sent as an iMessage when it was actually an SMS. I have no evidence to prove that that is, in fact, what happened. I suggest you clear the message history on both devices, make sure send as SMS is off, and do some testing.

Carrier Charging Texting for iMessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.