Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access iBooks database in another app

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to access the books (epub or pdf) stored in the iBooks database from other apps.

While I like the way iBooks can categorize and organize books in collections, I think there are better pdf readers apps available.

Cheers

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 7:13 PM

4 replies

Nov 11, 2011 11:57 PM in response to S_eye

You will need to copy those PDFs or epubs to the other app. I don't think that the iBooks app itself supports the copying of its content to other apps (I can't find an 'open in' option within it that allows me to copy PDFs to a different app), though I can email my PDFs (I don't have any DRM-free epub books on my iPad so I'm not sure about them) to myself and then do 'open in' from the attachment in Mail to get them into a different app.

Nov 12, 2011 1:17 AM in response to King_Penguin

Well, I have aroung 20Gb of pdfs (mostly reference manuals), therefore duplicating them or migrating them to another application is probably not worth the effort.

The big question to me is to know if the iBooks database is protected by iOS or if it is still accessible to other apps. I am thinking abou writing a specific application for this.

Access iBooks database in another app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.