Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disk permission repair

Repair does not fix extremely long list ....multiple runs end with Permission Repair Complete but the list is long and the same, sample of one item below....all items start with "ACL found but not expected..."

ACL found but not expected on “Library/QuickTime/AppleIntermediateCodec.component”

Repaired “Library/QuickTime/AppleIntermediateCodec.component”

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 9:17 PM

11 replies

Nov 11, 2011 9:29 PM in response to Rysz

Yes as long as it says Permissions Repaired then all is good. If you don't want to see all it is cheching on, then uncheck the Show Details box.

Seeing them each time is completely normal and does not mean there are any issues with it, as long as it finishes and gives you the Permissions Repaired message.

Ignore ACLs. Nothing to worry about. I believe its just old code from a previous version and harmless.

Cheers

Nov 11, 2011 9:46 PM in response to Rysz

At the bottom of your list is the key...

Resolution

You can safely ignore these messages. You can also usually ignore any "ACL found but not expected..." message. These messages can occur if you change permissions on a file or directory; they are accurate, but generally not a cause for concern.

I did change the permissions after the Time Machine restore and that has probably caused this event....thank you...Paladin26

Nov 11, 2011 9:58 PM in response to Neil from Oz

To the best of my knowledge I have always had the box checked. I have periodically had "issues" over the years...never of the "ACL found but not expected" variety....again, to the best of my recollection....

Am just now trying an experiment and will see if it "clears" the problem....will advise.....

In all cases I guess I can accept that it is not really a problem.....just a mystery which created uncertainty in the midst of other problems I have been working through since moving from Snow Leopard...will further advise..

Nov 11, 2011 10:06 PM in response to paladin26

paladin26 wrote:

To the best of my knowledge I have always had the box checked. I have periodically had "issues" over the years...never of the "ACL found but not expected" variety....again, to the best of my recollection....

It's OK, I never saw ACL found but not expected until I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard (I think) and came here and asked exactly the same question. That's how I had a bit of an idea. Permission Repair reads as a strange procedure, given the results, but is effective.

Cheers and happy computing.

Nov 11, 2011 11:00 PM in response to Neil from Oz

Your clue....above..."These messages can occur if you change permissions"....was the key....I went in to "Get Info" and reset the permissions....ran DU....and got....see below.....I have seen that "Warning" before and somehow got rid of it. Over the years I have managed to fix things....most often not knowing exactly how....

Repairing permissions for “Lion”

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions repair complete

disk permission repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.