Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Message - Remote App + iTunes - "Error Contacting Radio Tuning Service. Check Internet Connection."

Hey

I am using the Apple Remote App (iPhone 4) to control music on iTunes (2011 macbook pro) and the following error message keeps appearing:

"An error occurred while contacting the radio tuning service. Check your Internet connection, or try again later."

I have no internet connection and I am not trying to use the radio. I just want to use the remote app to control itunes.

This is extremely annoying and the message keeps appearing and disabling my macbook pro.

Any ideas?

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 4:51 AM

13 replies

Dec 17, 2011 4:18 PM in response to Roopsta

I am experiencing the same problem.

It was worse for me because my MacBook Pro's audio had been routed out to speakers in an auditorium and everytime the error message occured, it would make that 'basso' notification sound and it would come out through the auditorium speakers.

Would appreciate if Apple would respond and offer a solution to this issue.

Dec 23, 2011 5:21 PM in response to Roopsta

[Bump]

Same problem here, I have a home network and don't want it on the 'net. I don't want to use Internet Radio, just want to use my home sharing. Any idea if there is a 3rd party hack for this as Apple is about as helpful as a hole in the f*ng head with this issue, no support whatsoever.

If someone has an email address for bug reports, please post. I will bombard them with email about this until they fix this really annoying bug.

Jan 7, 2012 11:47 AM in response to I_Betyar

Same problem... when the error message comes up, which typically happens right after a song begins to play; the song starts a skip/repeat sequence. I noticed there are other threads on this support site that address the same issue.

Just for reference: I’m using the Apple Remote app to control my iTunes library stored on a Mac Mini in my living room. I'm also using Amarra Mini software with iTunes. I'm on a home network. I've had the same arrangement for over a year with no problems. This seems to have occurred after update to the most recent version of iTunes.

Jan 8, 2012 12:57 PM in response to cdminer

Similar problem here: when I try to control my iTunes library with the Remote app from an iPod Touch 2G (running iOS 4.2.1), the Remote app times out when I try to access an artist or album - and then crashes; at the same time, iTunes starts showing the 'radio tuning service' error. This is a recent occurrence, the same setup worked just fine until a few weeks ago.

Setup consists of an iMac 24" running Lion, which streams its music to an Airport Express that's connected to my stereo. I'm not trying to listen to the radio, just trying to access music from the iTunes library. In fact, selecting and streaming radio stations in iTunes works just fine.

A clean install of the entire iPod didn't solve the problem. Oddly enough, using the Remote app on my iPad2 to control the same iTunes database works just fine... in fact, since this problem occurred round about the same time that I got the iPad , I'm wondering whether having two iOS devices that can both control the same iTunes library via Home Sharing might be the cause...?

Any pointers as to a solution would be most welcome...

Jan 17, 2012 1:00 AM in response to Roopsta

Same problem here - I am using remote on an iPhone 4 controling itunes on a PC

Radio appears to jam on "loading"

What I have found is that if I open itunes on PC and do no more to itunes - JUST OPEN and leave it be (perhaps minimise window) then open remote on iphone I can get radio to load and refresh (sometimes)

I sometimes get an error message that internet connection has been lost - but it does work - somehow.

Not a proper fix but of some help I hope.

Jan 21, 2012 12:48 PM in response to Roopsta

I called Apple about this. They're not sure what's going on, but tought that the next update would address it. They did manage to alleviate the problem a little:

- iTunes preferences

- click on devices

- click forget all remotes

The result of that is that the error will only apper the first time you open iTunes and activate the remote. Once you hit OK, the error won't occur again (until you shut iTunes and open it again for the first time). Before I did this fix, the error just kept coming up again and again. So it's some progress although not perfect. The remote works fine whether or not the error is there,

Jan 25, 2012 5:22 PM in response to Rshock

Yes - Rshock, good one. I have now been able to get everything connected, with no internet connection. On my MacBook Pro I am using 'create a wireless network', and watching films using remote control with zero problems.

If you are working without an internet connection, you must forget the remote in iTunes, then force connect from the iOS device to the library via the PIN key method ONLY!

This direct connection does not require internet protocol communications apparently (though we are not trying to use the internet, just bridge to the library).

Jan 25, 2012 5:23 PM in response to Roopsta

If you are working without an internet connection, you must forget the remote in iTunes, then force connect from the iOS device to the library via the PIN key method ONLY!

This direct connection does not require internet protocol communications apparently (though we are not trying to use the internet, just bridge to the library).

Jul 1, 2015 8:34 AM in response to Roopsta

Enable Store and all the new interactive media outlets.Click on all of them and see what is on offer,especially connect.Go back to Music reenable Internet Radio from Menu Bars and it all works.If you put a parental lock on Store and new stuff,it will still work.Apple want you to see what is on offer and sign up to the new features,if not interested use lock and use the things you are used to.Don't like the iTunes that goes with Yosemite bit buggy,edit is unreliable.Some have gone over to VLC as their media player.

Error Message - Remote App + iTunes - "Error Contacting Radio Tuning Service. Check Internet Connection."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.