Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S battery life

Hello

my iphone 4s has a terrible battery life , so i updated to 5.01 but i think its even worse now!

does anybody else have that problem ??

sorry for my english im german ! 😉

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), Boots up very slow

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 11:37 AM

We are in the same place. Wife's phone was fully charged. Went to bed and when she got up it was at 50%.

36 replies

Nov 13, 2011 11:44 AM in response to wdmowl

i think its mean from apple! tehy dident tell us how serious the battery problem is ... and they can't tell me they didnt know about the problem .... they had enough time to test it! i have a few friends that really need that battery life, because they cant charge it every hour! i want a better battery ore a liitle of my payed money back !

Nov 13, 2011 12:04 PM in response to megakai132

Here is my story!!! I woke up this morning at 7am unplugged my iphone 4s battery was at 100%, left home at 8am to come to work and my battery was at 91% and thats with zero use, no apps running, bluetooth off siri off icloud disabled, and no notifications running. I take my 1st break at work at 10am check my phone and the battery is at 76%. I googled a couple things and put my phone down, took my lunch at 12pm and my battery was down to 44% again with nothing running in the backround.. Its now 4pm and my battery is at 6% it was at 8% when I started righting this post..Now I am a huge apple fan but and tottally disgusted buy this and find it horrible that I cant get threw 8 hours with this phone with minimal use. My phone is running on 5.0.1 which I thought would fix the problem but turns out did apsolutly nothing at all.. Someone really dropped the ball on this one I hope apple finds out whats going on and fast.. I dont enjoy spending over 600.00 on junk

Nov 14, 2011 11:45 AM in response to megakai132

ARGGGHHH - This is my first iPhone (I have the 4s) and I was hoping battery life woud be better than my Droid Incredible which drained battery power if you looked at it wrong. The phone wasn't tooo bad with iOS 5 but I updated to 5.0.1 hoping that the battery life would be better. The phone has been on for 3 hrs and 19 mins with 1 hr of usage (mainly internet browsing and music) and the battery is at 79%. This is not bueno. I don't think anyone can help me but I just wanted to add my voice to the throng - Apple, please get your stuff in line and get a fix for this.

Nov 16, 2011 5:33 AM in response to megakai132

Hi,

We bought two iPhone 4s a couple of weeks ago from the same Apple store. Both phones had accetable battery life, we installed the IOS 5.01 upgrade a week ago, since then my partners iPhone 4s 32G has terrible battery life, she charges it over night and can't even get through the day without it going completely flat and bricking the phone. My phone is setup very simular and doesn't have any problems at all. Mine is a 64G variant. She's going to take it back to the store, in the mean time is there anything she can do?

Bluetooth is disabled.

She hardely uses the phone during that day for calls.

It's picking up emails through the day from WiFi.

Cheers.

Nov 16, 2011 6:45 AM in response to Zerajera

I got the 4s during the pre-order (Verizon, 64G) and initially saw the issues with the battery, read all the posts here and elsewhere. I then turned off Push (check every 15 instead), Diagnostics (the Send to Apple setting), Auto Time Zone, and any iTunes sync that wasn't via the PC. Tweaked some notification services but they are mostly on. I play with Siri occasionally but don't use the obvious location-based reminders as that clearly will use GPS a lot. iCloud mail and reminder sync was/is still on although I may have turned it off for a day or two but turned it back on. Exchange and Gmail are still on, check every 15. My phone comes off the charger at around 6AM and generally with normal use throughout the day including plenty of email checking, some browsing, maybe 60 minutes of calls, some music, occasional youtube video, and plenty of texts it hits the charger when I go to sleep around midnight with somewhere between 50-70% of it's battery depending on the day. That's better than my Moto Droid2 with the extended battery which I thought was the best of *any* smartphone I've ever owned except maybe my OLD blackberry that didn't do much besides email and calls with a little lame browsing and no color. So if that's "bad" to some original iPhone 4 users who kept theirs off the charger for 3 days straight...you're spoiled. This is still by far the best battery life I've ever had. If I leave the phone sitting on my desk for a couple of hours, MAYBE it drains 1-2% but more likely it's at most 1% or not at all. I do use WiFi at work and home so it's always on.

Along came 5.0.1 and like a complete idiot I went to fix what wasn't broken without reading here first. OTA 5.0.1 update ran while I was sitting in a meeting and finished, restarted and had around 93% battery when it was restarted as part of the update. After my meeting I walked across the street to get lunch and only glanced at emails but no talking, surfing, texting or anything and I noticed the phone got hotter and was down to 84% before I got back. Not good, so I quickly read what was already spreading like wildfire and aside from all the tweaks I did above the only suggestion I saw that made remote sense was to perform a full reset (hold home and power till it gives the Apple logo, not just power off) and then I charged it to 100% at my desk. Did not change ANY other settings but I did verify they were all the way I had left them. I personally think the whole drain the phone to zero a few times might help but only provides incremental improvement, not full recovery from the rapid drain except possibly because in effect it's a full reset when it turns itself off.

Anyway the effect was immediate, pretty much no different than the original 5.0. Not better but no longer dropping like a stone. I charge my phone every night because I use it as an alarm clock as well but I think the root of the issue here is ONE setting or rogue app could easily send the device into a CPU frenzy and until you find that one thing you'll be frustrated. Doesn't even have to be the same setting as the previous drain-inducing problem. I read suggestions that included simply turning the email sync (or calendar or whatever it was) OFF and then back ON because as silly as that sounds in the land of software that's an easy one to be one possible cause of a problem.

Probably not hardware although I'm sure there are devices out there with random issues but for the general case, I think it's software. Sadly sending diagnostics is probably something we all turn off because it was one of the obvious choices and might actually be one thing that gives Apple more information with which to figure out what's chewing up cycles.

Sorry for the length but hope it helps...

Dec 19, 2011 11:07 PM in response to megakai132

The following does only apply to 4S users

Hi to all,

I've updated my 4S to iOS 5.0.1 Build 9A406

Seems that has fixed my battery problem finally.

I Charged it on Saturday, and it went empty on Monday afternoon.

Some facts:
before the update, the usage and standby time in the settings were nearly the same... I think all of u know that strange one... 8hrs usage 9hrs standby, without using it...anyway...

after the update to build 9A406 , here some facts from monday:
1% battery left,

9hrs Usage

1d13hrs Standby

^^ after the first battery charge....
hope it keeps on improving 😉

Before u ask: I did no settings change from 9A405 to 9A406... nothing... so... there had to be something in 9A405 which causes the battery life problem issue....

Hope i could help some of u.
Try updating to 9A406 and reply to my post if this fixes ur battery problme as well.

Greetings

iPhone 4S battery life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.